Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to ask...

Tell them that someone was looking in & watching.

Give a spare pair of black out curtains to them ..............

Seriously though - just ask

Have just asked mine not to prune a tree (as it's starting to cover a light), they were fine.

I'd guess that the light's on because someone's in the room. So really the question is: how to get them to buy some curtains?

You could try appealing to their generosity and buying something for your benefit or you could casually mention that everyone (are there other neighbours?) can see in, possibly hinting that someone else mentioned it to you ...

However, the good news is that one isolated light isn't going to do much to increase light pollution that your scope will see - as that is affected by light scattered off particles int he atmosphere - not direct illumination at ground level. Obviously that affects your eyes' ability to become fully dark-adapted, but you can fix that yourself with a towel (or similar) over your head while at the telescope.

Tough, maybe? I had no problem re. a neighbour and his errant (malfunctioning) security light. Unfortunately (I sense) many ADULTS need to "sleep with a light on" etc. Diplomacy is of the essence? But (reflecting my experience) unawareness and misunderstanding are not unknown. Idem wastage on electricity bills? :)

But I gave up on such "fine-tunings", and set my Observatory walls [screening] at "gutter" levels... :(

There is no way I could approach any of my neighbours and ask them to install curtains - they would consider it a great invasion of privacy. My only alternative is to use blackout blinds on poles or observe at a remote location.

If you are very friendly with the neighbours, asking them to sort out the excessive lightspill will be easy. I would get 'em a bottle of their favourite tipple to thank them, as a sign of how much you appreciate their consideration.

My neighbours very kindly moved their spotlight sensors away from my garden and have been very considerate since. Shame they are moving out soon, I've got to start ALLLL over again...

Obviously different people in different areas react differently but surely if you went to their house, (or better still did some well-timed, strategic pruning while they were in the garden and catch their attention) and made a friendly approach, mentioned Stargazing Live, Patrick Moore etc and asked them if there was any chance they will almost certainly react well.

Despite the media's insistence to the contrary, most people are still reasonable and friendly if you approach them with respect and courtesy (which I am sure you will).

You will probably find that the parents are annoyed all the time for kids leaving lights on - I know I am!

Archived