Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

When will this weather go away?

I now have 6 days off work so straight away I start to think " great some late nights ahead " I wake up on day 1 of my long weekend or short week! and the weather is shocking...........skies are black and looking very much like a storm on the way here in south wales.

Fingers crossed it clears by tonight so I can get out and try the new webcam for the first time.

Is it the same all over the country or just hovering over us here in the centre of the universe ( cardiff ) lol......?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my chaos-theory 8-ball says tonight might be ok, but due to random statistical fluctuations it might also rain, be windy, snow, turn back into daylight or have the sky fall down.

but the bbc says tonight should be clear...i have a glorious sunny day here atm.

Well i dont think this cloud looks like clearing :-( but fingers crossed!

I'm gonna go spend 5 hrs getting my forearms tattoo'd which has a bist of an astron theme to it too. I have my sons names on the inside of my arms with stars all around them and shaded in between. and then the detail to be put in next month which i'm thinking of some constelations to have in there, orion is a deffinate but any other suggestions?

Skies have been shocking up in the north east for the past two weeks. Haven't had a single night of observing in that time. However, the three weeks prior to that were great for viewing and just happened to coincide with me getting my first scope, so I shouldn't complain too much :eek:

i know how you feel, for the past 8 nights there hasent been so much as a gap in the clouds here and i check on the hour most nights from 9.30pm till 2am:(

But when the skys finaly do clear it will bcertainly be appreciated!.

I bought a Nagler 3 weeks ago and still haven't had a chance to use it :eek:

I honestly do not remember when I last went observing - must have been mid April... How sick is that?

Well i dont think this cloud looks like clearing :-( but fingers crossed!

I'm gonna go spend 5 hrs getting my forearms tattoo'd which has a bist of an astron theme to it too. I have my sons names on the inside of my arms with stars all around them and shaded in between. and then the detail to be put in next month which i'm thinking of some constelations to have in there, orion is a deffinate but any other suggestions?

Rain Clouds...........:eek:

You can be sure that it will either rain or go dark before morning and if you lived in Orkney you can always be sure of 7 seasons in one day! ;)

When you look at a light polution map of Scotland it always looks dark. That's because the cloud cover is so thick you can't see the lights! ;) We are actually lit up like Blackpool illuminations here with search lights pointing to the sky ;)

And at 60 degree's North or there abouts its the land of the midnight sun for 3 months of the year and never goes dark! :(

Learn to live with it I say! Its all good!

Clear skies! :eek:

Mark

It hasn't been any better in the "desert" where I live. Less than 10 really clear nights since mid December last year. This month has seen temps hovering in the mid 50's --- almost 25 degrees (F) below normal for this time of year. We get to see the sun (sort of) between clouds and haze in the afternoon, but by sundown, the grey curtain shuts tight again and the temps fall. We've even had half a dozen rainy days :) -- I've been here 25 years and I can't ever remember rain in May! :p

On top of all that, I have a nice new mount for my big 'frac and I've only been able to take it out three times since I got it in early March. I know about the cloud curse and all, but I think it's time to ritually sacrifice a chicken to appease the cloud gods. :p

The next time I see a 'Global Warming' wonk trying to raise my taxes to "save the world", I'm going to spit right in their eye!

Dan

Recently it's been blue skies and slight cloud at 7.00am and gradually clouded over from then on. I looked out at 10.30pm last night and all I could see was a faint glimmer, I think it was Arcturus, nothing else.

Recently it's been blue skies and slight cloud at 7.00am and gradually clouded over from then on. I looked out at 10.30pm last night and all I could see was a faint glimmer, I think it was Arcturus, nothing else.

That's exactly what it's been like here in Essex. It's like the sky is just teasing us... a little blue sky in the afternoon and then nothing but clouds once it gets dark :)

I've got a handful of "buy and try" eyepieces from Skys The Limit that I haven't been able to try yet. Fingers crossed for the weekend maybe?

Same here , West Lancashire / Merseyside. I've a great outlook , can see over to the Cumbrian Mountains one side , left side across the Mersey basin to North Wales , back round to Winter Hill (Bolton).

Nothing but rubbish sky two weeks at least (bar the odd small break).:)

Archived