Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi guys 'n gals.

solo

Just joined the club.

I'm 60, retired at 55. Worked on a refinery for 30 years and was 12 years in the R.A.F. before that.I've had a lifelong interest in astronomy since discovering the beauty of the sky as a kid guarding our local bonfire on the run up to Guy Fawkes night. ( bring back any memories? )

I own a 8" newt ( dob / equatorial ) 4" f10 refractor, short-tube 80,8x42 Bushnells and 10x50 Helios naturesport binos.I'm thinking about building a big( ish) dob but we've just moved near Lincoln so it might have to wait until I've got a few jobs finished.

Well, thats me so far.Look forward to sharing my experiences with you all.

Clear skies.

John.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guarding bonfires? Sounds somewhat nostalgic/romantic. Care to clue in an ignorant Yank?

Every 5th November in the UK we have Bonfire Night. It's officialy to celebrate Guy Fawkes being discovered whilst trying to blow up our Parliament by filling the cellars with kegs of black powder. This is when all the kids collect wood, or anything that burns, and have a fire. There is great pride in having the biggest bonfire around. The easy way to get the biggest bonfire is to steal wood from some other kids, hence the guarding that has to be carried out.

HTH

Captain Chaos

I was an instrument smasher.Woked on Vulcans,Hunters and Canberras.Finished my days in the gin palace at Binbrook.I got around quite a bit with the Vulcans mainly middle east and North Africa. Did a three year tour at Gutersloh in Germany on the hunters.That was a great tour-didn't want to come back.

John.

Archived