Hello from Redditch!

terrym2002uk

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on this great forum for longer than I care to confess, so I thought it’s about time I joined in and said hello from Redditch.

Many months ago I discovered my old TAL 150PM collecting dust on the landing (yes there was enough junk up there to hide it!). So rather than gathering dust I thought I would clean it up and set it up in the yard on a permanent basis with a cover. What could go wrong, its Russian! After several weeks of staring out into the Universe, I thought I would expand on my Eyepieces, and brought the Celestron Eye-opener kit and a few other bits and pieces to get me going, where I had previously left off.

“….Its Russian, what could go wrong” were the words that went through my mind again when I returned from work to find my wife looking rather worried and saying that wind had blown my scope over! Arrggh I just got it all sorted! Well after inspecting the damage the OTA was fine, but the pier mounting plate was in a new configuration of several bits. No hope of repair without a bit of CNC work.

Well, to cut a long story short I’m now the happy owner of a SW 200PDS from FLO (Many thanks guys,. great service), which has now been flocked with Edmund Optics paper and my Skysurfer V attached. First light was Saturn, a truly wonderful sight compared to my 150P and the icing on the cake was the ring nebula a couple of nights ago. What a difference a couple of inches make….. I wonder what a 10” would be like….. No Stop right there.

To say the least, I will be cherishing this piece of kit.

Look forward to joining in, and hopefully get out to some of the star parties for some real darkness.

Hi Terry and welcome to the forum.

Hmmmmm, wife standing over now broken scope - more than just a coincidence Terry? In my household the answer would certainly be yes and is usually met with the typical statement, "....well it just fell over". Terry I think we need to set up a special unit to investigate these matters as I am sure there are many cases of scope abuse going on! Thanks for reporting this incident!

Clear skies

James

Hi Terry and welcome to the forum.

Hmmmmm, wife standing over now broken scope - more than just a coincidence Terry? In my household the answer would certainly be yes and is usually met with the typical statement, "....well it just fell over". Terry I think we need to set up a special unit to investigate these matters as I am sure there are many cases of scope abuse going on! Thanks for reporting this incident!

LOL. No smoking gun here. My wife posiitively encourages me to get out of the house from under her feet.

Terry, welcome to SGL. You will enjoy it. I know I do. I used to live just down the road from Redditch...in Henley-in-Arden. Loved it. All the best mate!

Cheers,

Gordon

Archived