Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My go at dob balancing.

spaceboy

Hi Dob owners

I know this has been covered no end of times but as the light nights are meaning less observing for me I found myself with extra time on my hands to deal with balancing issues so this is my solution.

Thanks to another members good find I picked up a magnet of ebay that has a rubberized base to protect against scratching the OTA. The magnet is originally for mounting signs on cars. As is only comes with an M6 fixing bolt I decided to beef this up to a M10 by drilling and tapping a M10 bolt and screwing this to the M6 bolt. I then gas cut 3 x 100 mm disks from a 10mm plate I had spare. A few coats of spray paint and some flock on the magnet to tidy the finish. I now have a total weight of 2.5kg to counter EP's, finders etc.

• 3 weeks later...

superb mate. you are a very skilled metalworker.

you might find that when observing close to the zenith you will be best putting the weight on the underside as it may have a tendency to flip to 90 degrees of it's own accord. this will be a major advantage of your magnetic system which can so easily be detached and the position changed.

Very neat solution. When I've needed to add balancing weights, my H&R solution was to use a G clamp with various heavy-ish tools attached!

As a slight deviation, I notice in your pic there's what looks like an elasticated cover over the end of the OTA. Does anyone know where I can get such a thing, or are they DIY jobs?

Thanks

some people use a shower cap but you can buy them (not sure where but have seen them) or of course make one. breathable roofing felt was one suggestion. Johninderby uses some for his 14" dob that he bought. maybe send a pm.

Thanks cool. I was getting too adjusted to having to compensate continuous for her large rear end :)

Is one going to be enough, provided I can move it around. Or will I need extra weights like Spaceboy do you reckon?

Thank you all for you kind comments.

Kevin, I made the scope caps out of table top PVC and elastic as I found the diameter kept ripping shower caps.

Martyn, I have had plenty of practice using a gas torch. If your ever visit Adidas in the Trafford center I cut and welded the stringers for the stairs in there.

Adam, Sorry for the delay! Yes that is the correct magnet but they can be found for 4.00 on eBay. Every penny counts :)

Archived