Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StarSharp Bahtinov focus masks

First Light Optics is now the exclusive UK retailer for StarSharp Bahtinov focus masks NuMPlwY8KILkL-4r3hw9zr0vEx6ku3_hON4QbpnZwQvpOTxSjjIf0cBlxIUig-PO67JY9lWmxDRdsHlYDWROVO6s8v6Au0j_2ezoqMOS91PnaWXhLw

You would think sourcing a well-made Bahtinov focusing mask would be easy! Slots cut into a sheet of plastic suspended on the front of the telescope, how difficult can it be... It took us nearly a year!

starsharp_bahtinov_focusing_mask.jpg

First things first - credit for inventing the Bahtinov design goes to Russian amateur astronomer Pavel Bahtinov ;)

The Bahtinov mask has become the preferred method of focusing a telescope, either visually or when imaging with a CCD camera, DSLR or webcam. The mask exploits a unique diffraction profile. One part of the diffraction pattern moves in response to changes in focus and displays error as a displacement from a clearly defined point. It is 'much' easier to use than to explain and enables visual astronomers and astro-photographers to achieve precise focus, even in poor seeing conditions.

StarSharp Bahtinov masks are superior to most others because their slot widths and spacings have been carefully optimised for the telescope's focal ratio to ensure best possible performance. Not only that but the quality of material used and attention to detail is top drawer! Made from matt-black Perspex with straight edges to prevent them rolling away when on the shelf and a very useful high reflectance corner for easy location in the dark.

Our first delivery is due next week, after-which we shall keep all options here on the shelf for prompt dispatch.

If your telescope is not included in our list please contact us for a quote, you will be surprised what is available.

Oh, and it is made here in the UK!

Steve

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thumbs up for the quality of these. I have had mine drop off the end of my scope on a number of a occassions when I forgot it was on there and slewed off to my target!! Still in great shape - A real quality product.

Ah yes, that's the one John, except the current versions have rounded corners to make them more esthetically pleasing ;)

I thought that having cut corners were one of the selling points of Keith masks, so that they don't roll away !

Tried to login to my account. Have the accounts been deleted since the site was revamped?

FLO's website is more than a simple revamp, it is an entirely new website. It is not compatible with the previous one but it takes only a minute or two to create a new account. We have complete records of all previous orders so can provide details if required, they have not been deleted. If the last website is anything to go by it will be at least three years before we next upgrade. Hope that is okay.

It is good to read so many endorsements, thank-you ;):o

I thought that having cut corners were one of the selling points of Keith masks, so that they don't roll away !

They still have four straight sides so they shouldn't roll more than 90-degrees.

Steve

FLO's website is more than a simple revamp, it is an entirely new website. It is not compatible with the previous one but it takes only a minute or two to create a new account. We have complete records of all previous orders so can provide details if required, they have not been deleted. If the last website is anything to go by it will be at least three years before we next upgrade. Hope that is okay.

Fair enough ;) Revamp is just a phrase used for even those who completely change their sites :D

I'll re-register safely knowing you have records as that was my only concern :o

Off to buy a mask now.............................................

Ah yes, that's the one John, except the current versions have rounded corners to make them more esthetically pleasing ;)

I'm afraid that mine is last months model. Oh well I suppose there's nothing for it other than to bin mine and buy a new one then. :o:D:D

John

I'm afraid that mine is last months model. Oh well I suppose there's nothing for it other than to bin mine and buy a new one then. :o:D:D

Yup ... straight corners are sooo yesterday ;)

These are very well made.. got one for my ED80 6 or so weeks ago, highly recommended. So it looks like I may have one of the last production runs of the "Vintage" square model... very collectable.. ;-)

They look good. I just have one question - you say they are optimised for the focal ratio of your telescope, yet on your website it seems you can only select them by aperture?

Perhaps it is a bit ambiguous. I was aiming for an option list that was as clean and uncluttered as possible, peoples eyes glaze when faced with too many options. In many instances telescopes can be grouped together (i.e. all 8" SCT telescopes are f10) but I have edited the list to show more detail. Hopefully I have struck the right balance. I have also added the Meade 80 and 127 Triplets as we have received requests for that model.

Thank-you for mentioning it,

Steve ;)

I have a similar question. If I get one for my SW 80ED would its use be affected by the use of the SW focal reducer?

Yes, though the difference is not enough to render the mask unusable. For Example, the mask designed for the Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED will also work with the faster Equinox 80 and pretty-much any other 80mm telescope. But, whilst it will work on all of them it works best on the one it was designed for.

HTH

Yes, though the difference is not enough to render the mask unusable. For Example, the mask designed for the Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED will also work with the faster Equinox 80 and pretty-much any other 80mm telescope. But, whilst it will work on all of them it works best on the one it was designed for.

HTH

Roger that, understood. Thanks Steve. ;)

Cheers

Ian

Another thumbs up for the quality of these. I have had mine drop off the end of my scope on a number of a occassions when I forgot it was on there and slewed off to my target!! Still in great shape - A real quality product.

Hehehehe:p Yeah I am afraid I am guilty of that too also despite the HIGHLY reflective corner I have (not for a long time now) even forgotten to remove before starting to image D'oh!!!

Keith

Archived