SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrobuyandsell

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably the next best site after SGL for buying and selling. Make yourself aware of their fraud warnings and just use normal common sense about the web and you'll be ok.

I've bought and sold quite a lot of stuff from their and also made some long distance astro friends in the process.

There's a lot a fair priced equipment there. Bargins tend to go really quickly, so check back regulalry. Also have a regular trawl thru the last pages - often you'll find items that are still for sale a couple of months after being first advertised, which can sometimes be had for a cheeky offer.

Finally, as with everything in life, please and thank yous go a long way!

I've bought and sold loads of stuff on there. I've never had a problem but, as mentioned above, you do need to be just a little bit careful. I'd rather buy from there than from E.Bay.

I've bought and sold loads of stuff on there. I've never had a problem but, as mentioned above, you do need to be just a little bit careful. I'd rather buy from there than from E.Bay.

As John i have used that site on many occasions and only had one problem in 7 years. And that was an easy to spot scam.

You will find a mix of people who sell bits of kit as they tire or upgrade, and the 'unregistered' traders and the 'open' traders.

As with the previous replies. Generally good people. Just look up their current ads for an indication of their sell history, and you can see when they joined. Just use common sense. In my experience, this site so is much better than 'the bay'. Astrobuysell get a look in from me most days.

I've used it as well several times... No problems.

But the site themselves are not involved in the transaction in any way (same as SGL) - think of Astrobuysell as a newspaper classified section - and you'll get the idea.

Cheers

Ant

• 5 weeks later...

If you have a doubt about any sellers you can check their profile and see how many ads they have and how many archived.

A number of archived can mean they have been successfully selling without issues.

Of course...caution is always a healthy way.

Agree with The Thing too...please and thank yous go a long way :)

I've used it a few times, some good, but one time it resulted in a bit of a drama case with excuses of it being 'lost in the post' etc.. Eventually I got my money back after lots of stress.. I've spoken to other people who've been stung with non-receipt of goods , after dodgy sellers have taken their money in advance with a bank transfer.

If you use that site, use PayPal, and stay well clear of those sellers who refuse to take PayPal. I know PayPal has its annoyances with sellers particularly with the 'buyer protection' scheme which is open to mis-use, but at least that way you get a receipt and as a buyer you can get your money back if the goods don't arrive.

My preferred option is to stick with SGL unless you find a real bargain on AstroBuySell (which is rare in my opinion).

I have to defend the bank transfer...not everyone is up to no good asking for that.

Not by any stretch of the imagination.

PayPal gift is one to be wary of as it offers zero protection for either parties. It's misleading to suggest PayPal is automatically safe...it isn't when using gift.

Best option is to chat to someone on the phone. Nobody would begrudge a phone call...if they do...then it's time to be suspicious.

With a bank transfer, as a buyer you have absolutely no leg to stand on if the seller doesn't ship (yep I forgot to mention PayPal gifts not safe also). You would have to prove that the money transfer was for purchase of the described goods, and since there is no purchase order on paper, you're giving away your money in a way that cannot be legally tied to those particular goods.

Most of my astronomy equipment is second hand and I've used Astrobuysell a lot. Touch wood, but I've never had a case of something not being sent.

How good the deals on offer are is up to individual interpretation. Over-priced items simply get no takers, or are re-advertised later at a lower price. The site has an archive section and a search mechanism so it is pretty easy to check what price similar items have gone for in the past.

There is a pretty wide variety of items on offer from the commonly available to pretty rare and unususal high-end items.

There are also Canadian and Australian versions of the site but they do not get nearly as many ads on them. I've used the former but not the latter.

@PortableAstronomer

Yeh...but if you're scared of every worst case scenario you may as well stay in bed :)

Anything can be made out to be bad. You're generalisation is wrong in this case. It tars everyone with the same brush which isn't fair.

Caution is obviously the way to go but I've done 100s of BT transactions and been ok. Caution first...of course.

Buying secondhand will always have it's risks. Buying of SGL doesn't make things automatically safe either. But you use common sense and caution on every purchase.

Chatting on the phone when making a big buy (or even if you're selling) is a good way to gauge a situation. But even that ultimately doesn't guarantee safety.

I just think your generalisation is unfair on those who don't have PP accounts and realise PP's fees are ridiculous. Not many buyers will cover fees..most will want gift.

I have a guy who will only accept a cheque? Is that a bad idea?

I've bought and sold on SGL by cheque, no problems. My largest

purchase here was cash on collection, 180 mile round trip, and

worth it.

Obviously caution is always needed.

Regards, Ed.

Its a good site providing the usual caveats are observed. I got my (newish) Intes 815D from a Spanish bloke off Astrobuysell.co.uk.

No problems.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't PayPal protect the transaction ONLY if its done through an authorised site (e-bay, OPT etc.), rather than just with another PayPal user?

I've bought several items on astrobuysell, and had no problems. The sellers descriptions were accurate, but you have to be careful as with all sites like this.

Communication with the seller is very important as you can gauge their authenicity and quiz them about the product - not foolproof though.

Most people are honest astronomers like you and me just trying to get along - but there are a few (thankfully just a few) rotten apples mixed in - its life.

Have bought both of SGL and AB&S, all have been thoroughly pleaseant transactions and usually a good bit of banter thrown in. A little bit of mutual respect also goes a long way.

And the old addage if looks too good to be true...walk away.

Archived