Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrobuyandsell

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As advised, read up on the scams going on, there easy to spot once you have, also second having a chat via Email then swap phone numbers. I've bought off UKABS a number of times and never had a problem. Most guys on UKABS are more than likely members here!

The only other thing I can think of atm is to space out/underscore you email address i.e.

jo.blogs_@sco_pe.net << take out underscores'

It just helps to stop unwanted dodgy mail from bots

HTH

Glen

Ps just made that email up for an example..

As advised, read up on the scams going on, there easy to spot once you have, also second having a chat via Email then swap phone numbers. I've bought off UKABS a number of times and never had a problem. Most guys on UKABS are more than likely members here!

The only other thing I can think of atm is to space out/underscore you email address i.e.

jo.blogs_@sco_pe.net << take out underscores'

It just helps to stop unwanted dodgy mail from bots

HTH

Glen

Ps just made that email up for an example..

It seems like a good idea to do this (I do) but bots are so sophisticated nowadays that this will do nothing to stop them. the only way to truly stop it would be to post a picture of your address as this would likely need a human operator to decipher.

Astrobuysell have a much better contact/messaging system now anyway that circumvents the need to publish email addresses online.

paul

Astrobuysell have a much better contact/messaging system now anyway that circumvents the need to publish email addresses online.

paul

That's good to know Paul, thanks for the heads up on that. Must be at last year since I used the site to buy/sell.

Still find myself browsing the adds a few times a week, looking for bits but usually they are gone or I haven't the funds..

Still nice to "window shop" though ;)

I've just bought a Televue Powermate 2.5x (#45015) from UKABS.

I checked the seller info (registered since 7/2008 with over 300 archived posts - so I assume if it was a con artist he would have been banned long ago). I also googled the seller's UKABS ID and name and did a search on here for the same (and found nothing). On the basis of this I sent payment (PP gift).

Is 'PP gift' fairly standard for UKABS or is it an 'avoid at all costs' transaction method? Also, can anyone suggest additional (relatively simple) cautionary measures?

do you have a rating system or just have to know who is a rep seller?

There is no rating system on UK AB&S but you can check to see how many ads the person has had in the past, as Bulkins says.

You should really treat the site as you would the "for sale" cards you see in a newsagents window.

I've bought and sold there many, many times over the years without problems though.

Notes for using Paypal as a gift.

Seller gets no fees - buyer gets not protection... this is a myth, the buyer can easily dispute the gift as a mistake and can get a 100% refund. he seller cannot dispute it as a sale because he received it knowingly as a gift.

Use only as a gift when you are 100% sure... stay luck everyone :hello2:

Yesterday evening UKAB&S had an ad for an "illuminated rectal eyepiece".

Now there's a thing you don't get offered every day ............

Nasty :hello2:

There's a time and a place for illumination and that's not one of them.

:D Andy.

I use UKAB&S often, it is just another means of contact, and like has been well pointed out, needs care and luck.

The only snag I have with the SGL Buy Sell is that I cannot access it until I have dribbled profusely on this forum.

To this end I am slowly working my way through the aforementioned dribble process, sorry to all.

Gary

Archived