Show off your Saturn attempts

Hi,

My first and only Saturn taken at 29/04 with a Skymax 127 Mak, 2X skywacher kit barlow and Bresser PC Okular which is based on Thrustmaster webcam.

I have used similar setup as Arushin and Revs did, but for some reason my Saturn is smaller, any ideas why :D ?

capture29042011230036am.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was take through a 127mm f/9.4 achromatic refractor + 2x Barlow using EOS Movie Record to save the liveview feed from my Canon 1000D as an avi file. Stacked in Registax.

post-18573-133877597974_thumb.jpg

I am stunned that you are getting these images from 150mm and less. Are you actually seeing the images as clearly and with as much colour? Or does the eye not pick up that detail through the lens.

I have Konusky 200 Motor with 10mm plossl and I see something like what the iPhone pic captured (obviously sharper though!)

Does the Barlow make the difference? I thought it Jay enlarged the same image, not bring out loads more detail.

Boz

the detail is there with no barlow

Then I'm really doing something wrong. Any hints on how to see this much detail from 200mm mirror on 1000mm tube?

I have polar alignement and the motor set up well. I was in back garden near midnight, clear sky with some light pollution (nor city) and could see all ursa minor stars.

Cheers

Boz

I am stunned that you are getting these images from 150mm and less. Are you actually seeing the images as clearly and with as much colour? Or does the eye not pick up that detail through the lens.

With my 127 the eye doesn't pick up the colour, that comes when stacking the images - the size though is as you see it

Then I'm really doing something wrong. Any hints on how to see this much detail from 200mm mirror on 1000mm tube?

I have polar alignement and the motor set up well. I was in back garden near midnight, clear sky with some light pollution (nor city) and could see all ursa minor stars.

Cheers

Boz

more light polution than you think?

collimated well?

Hmmm... All those are better than anything I've captured as yet but I hope to do better when I have my new EQ6 mount set up properly and the weather permits. The old mount was so wobbly I couldn't even touch the focus without the image jumping all over the place. When I get something that shows rings instead of two fuzzy streaks each side of a blob I'll post it/them.

more light polution than you think?

collimated well?

Could see Hercules globular clusters fairly well, so dont think pollution was too bad. Over houses though and image was a bit turbulent.

Not collimated at all yet. Going to a club this month and will get someone to show me how to.

Could someone post a pick of Saturn with 200mm reflector like Sky Explorer with around 10mm eyepiece and no Barlow please.

Boz

I'm glad I posted this thread, its fab seeing everyones pics and shows that you dont need thousands of pounds of equipment either. My original pic was taken with a 2x Skywatcher barlow screwed into the nosepiece of the SPC880 and then plopped into a 2.5x GSO barlow, since then I have got myself a 5x Revelation barlow but STILL havent tried it out due to the weather (far too windy at mo).

I have noticed a large number of these photos are taken with maks and newts, how bout more from you guys with the long and short tube refractors?

Here's my first saturn with my SW 102 MAK.

About 2 minutes of video captures with wxAstrocap and a Philips Toucam Pro and a 2x SW Barlow.

Processed and stacked in IRIS and tweaked in GIMP.

Not sure about the colour - the camera may have been RAW modded a long time ago (been a few years since I used it).

Clear Skies

Paul

post-24614-13387759868_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone. I thought my newly-purchased C6 was defective/out of collimation, but I'm getting just as good sights of Saturn by direct observing.

I take it that imaging should produce a better view?

Here's my first saturn with my SW 102 MAK.

About 2 minutes of video captures with wxAstrocap and a Philips Toucam Pro and a 2x SW Barlow.

Processed and stacked in IRIS and tweaked in GIMP.

Not sure about the colour - the camera may have been RAW modded a long time ago (been a few years since I used it).

Clear Skies

Paul

Auto White Balance will produce yellow colour. Select freeze WB in vlounge and move the blue and red sliders to adjust colour balance.

Archived