Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing the Central Star M-27

scarp15

Last night I managed to take off to a dark site, the first time in a long time and was rewarded with a magnificent sky dominated by the presence of the milkyway. My primary focus were the nebula's. After a tour of some globular's I attached my lumicon O-3 filter to my extension tube (no paracorr tonight). I enjoyed a view of the east and west Veil and Pickerings triangle, the familiar brain like profile of the Crescent, elegant profile of the Swan, coasting along the edge of the North American and a host of bright planetary nebula.  

The Dumbbell was bright and expansive, I was using 200X with my 14" dobsonian. The two lobes were quite distinct inside the vast nebula form. When I flickered my eye, I caught a glimpse initially of two stars within the boundary of the nebula and then a faint star in the centre. It was only a split second but I saw the central star. I believe that this star is mag14 and there is a companion star at mag17 (I do not feel that I saw this). It is considered that the two or more stars can more easily be seen within the periphery of the nebula. 

Quite a stand out moment, as I have not consciously looked for this central star before. I would be interested to learn of personal observations of M27 and the stars that can be glimpsed (with some difficulty and probably with averted vision) directly in front of or behind the nebula as well as the central star. Has anyone managed to see its very faint companion?

Mag 17 is well beyond what my 12" can do but I did pick up the mag 14 central star of NGC 6905 in Delphinus the night before last. I've seen at least a couple of stars across the face of M27 but I've not, as I recall, seen the central star as yet. Might give it a go tonight if this hazy thin cloud shifts :smiley:

The central star of M57 is another one I'm still trying for. Apparently using really high magnfication helps.

Mag 17 is well beyond what my 12" can do but I did pick up the mag 14 central star of NGC 6905 in Delphinus the night before last. I've seen at least a couple of stars across the face of M27 but I've not, as I recall, seen the central star as yet. Might give it a go tonight if this hazy thin cloud shifts :smiley:

The central star of M57 is another one I'm still trying for. Apparently using really high magnfication helps.

Good luck John with that and yes I read your account a good achievement.

Saw the central star through Mike (faulksy's) 14" dob a while back, very nice too in his 8mm Ethos :)

Don't remember the other star positions off hand but one or two are certainly doable. 

That is the eyepiece I used with the same spec scope  :smiley:

I definitely got the central star tonight :smiley:

I used the 6mm Ethos (265x) in my 12" dob and saw an additional 3 stars across the body of the nebula plus a couple right on the fringes of the nebulosity. I also viewed at 454x (Pentax XW 3.5mm) and saw these stars again. At that power M27 fills much of the FoV :grin:

I've also been trying for the central star of M57 tonight and have had glimmers of something with averted vision at 454x but nothing for sure. This one is close to mag 15 so thats going to be a toughie from my back yard !

I have done the centre of M27 a couple of years back and managed the star in M57 as well.

This is something I have yet to repeat with my 12 inch though I have tried many times since I do sometimes question whether I saw it at all. I know when I was attempting this I was at it for over two months during a very fine spell of weather. In the end it was the Ethos 8mm at X358 that did the trick but a very good transparent sky is a must have along with a dark site.

I must try with the 18 inch tonight. Now watch the clouds appear :eek: .

No joy at 330x in my 15" last night, but then again the neighbour's floodlight came on so let's just say my dark adaption was highly questionable...

If the weather plays ball, I'll be trying again from really dark skies on Friday night :)

nice one iain, and thanks for the mention steve :smiley: . its a lovely sight if you look a bit closer at m27 you can see lots of stars either in the foreground or background never could work out where :grin:

No joy at 330x in my 15" last night, but then again the neighbour's floodlight came on so let's just say my dark adaption was highly questionable...

If the weather plays ball, I'll be trying again from really dark skies on Friday night :)

Saw it (and a couple of other stars) @ ~130x in my 15" dob in dark skies in Ballinskelligs :)

I'm down in Devon camping currently, skies were mag 20.6 the other night.

I'm sure I got the central star and a couple of others right on the limit with averted vision in my Edge 8". It was not always there, but it definitely appeared a number of times when I got it positioned in the most sensitive part of my eye.

I have checked this on a visibility calculator and it seems feasible.....

99361ab1dce461aff5e0d46fe82ebb36.jpg

Well I guess it shows what difference a little brightness and transparency make. Last night was mag 20.5 and still pretty good, but not a peep of any stars in M27, strange!! They were pretty tough the night before, right on the limit.

I hope that you continue to get further clear skies Stu to attempt this pursuit. I tried with my 8" dobsonian back at the weekend under a good transparent dark sky using 240X and not a hint of any stars across the nebula surface. 

I hope that you continue to get further clear skies Stu to attempt this pursuit. I tried with my 8" dobsonian back at the weekend under a good transparent dark sky using 240X and not a hint of any stars across the nebula surface.

Any idea what the sky brightness was Scarp? As said, I got them the previous night right on the limit, a little worse transparency or even just a little brighter sky and they were not visible.

Still had a great night last night, can't believe how much I saw. Report to follow.

Look forward to your report, the sky in which I was initially able to see the central star and indeed two further stars was mag 20.8 and I was using the VX14. At the weekend with the VX8L, I was at a different location and took several readings of between mag 21.3 and 21.5.  Only got to take these readings towards the close of my session, which had to be cut a little short due to family circumstances, otherwise I most certainly would have attempted again. I was also using an OIII filter as I was primarily nebula hunting at the time (awesome view of the N/A around the Gulf of Mexico), might try with and without the filter next time.   

Well I could not see the central star in M27 last night with my ED120. Not that thats a great surprise as the aperture is relatively small and the seeing was not brilliant but I thought I'd add it into the discussion anyway :smiley:

I could see the dim star thats next to M57 though. I believe thats around mag 13 ?

Well I could not see the central star in M27 last night with my ED120. Not that thats a great surprise as the aperture is relatively small and the seeing was not brilliant but I thought I'd add it into the discussion anyway :smiley:

I could see the dim star thats next to M57 though. I believe thats around mag 13 ?

John, given some of the apertures people are using it seems that it would be a challenge in my 8", but mag 14 should be visible under these skies so I'm confident I got it. As said though, an almost imperceptible reduction in transparency and sky brightness rendered it invisible so it's a challenge alright.

There is a mag 13.1 and a mag 14.4 star near M57. Should give them a go.

John, given some of the apertures people are using it seems that it would be a challenge in my 8", but mag 14 should be visible under these skies so I'm confident I got it. As said though, an almost imperceptible reduction in transparency and sky brightness rendered it invisible so it's a challenge alright.

There is a mag 13.1 and a mag 14.4 star near M57. Should give them a go.

I think central stars of planetary nebula pose a little more of a challenge than a star of the same brightness seen against the blackness of space. The nebulosity across the centre of PN's seems to dim stars seen against it to some degree.

I was using the central star of M27 and the other stars visible across the nebulosity as a test for eyepieces the other night with my 12" dob. The test was to see if the perceived brightness of both the stars and the nebulosity varied as M27 drifted across the FoV right up to the field stop.

I think central stars of planetary nebula pose a little more of a challenge than a star of the same brightness seen against the blackness of space. The nebulosity across the centre of PN's seems to dim stars seen against it to some degree.

I was using the central star of M27 and the other stars visible across the nebulosity as a test for eyepieces the other night with my 12" dob. The test was to see if the perceived brightness of both the stars and the nebulosity varied as M27 drifted across the FoV right up to the field stop.

Good point John and something to consider next time.

Archived