Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New JTD Dual Rig Alignment Saddle Incoming

FLO

John, the engineer who machines our FLO adapters and accessories, is working on a heavy-duty Dual Rig Alignment Saddle for Losmandy-style dovetails. It is still in development but the prototype shown in the photos below will be similar to the finished article. The saddle dimensions need some refining and he wants to machine a little more off to reduce weight. The production model will also be black-anodised. 

We should be good to go in about one month so will post details, more photos and a price then :smile:

jtd_guidescope_saddle_prototype_2.jpg jtd_guidescope_saddle_prototype_1.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Good idea. Since the Cassady TGAD (which this resembles) became unavailable nothing suitable for mid and large sized dual rigs has been on sale. As did Cassady, you're calling it a guide scope carrier but I assume the real market will be for dual rigs since you don't any longer need to hunt for guide stars with modern cameras?

Anyway it looks convincing.

Olly

PS Thoughts on price? My Cassady, even second hand, cost a fortune!

Any news on these yet?

The finished product arrived Friday but I was travelling to the SGL star party. I'll photograph it tomorrow then will update this thread and add it to our website. 

Good idea. Since the Cassady TGAD (which this resembles) became unavailable nothing suitable for mid and large sized dual rigs has been on sale. 

It was your idea Olly. Back in May 2014 you mentioned the Cassady was no longer in production (I think you said the manufacturer had retired). You suggested someone produce an alternative  :smile:

We haven't actually seen a Cassady but found some photos and sent them to John as a starting point. 

I probably should stress the product offered here isn't a Cassady so if someone wants one of those they will need to continue searching the secondhand market. 

PS Thoughts on price? My Cassady, even second hand, cost a fortune!

I will have a price tomorrow.  

HTH, 

Steve

The finished product arrived Friday but I was travelling to the SGL star party. I'll photograph it tomorrow then will update this thread and add it to our website. 

It was your idea Olly. Back in May 2014 you mentioned the Cassady was no longer in production (I think you said the manufacturer had retired). You suggested someone produce an alternative  :smile:

We haven't actually seen a Cassady but found some photos and sent them to John as a starting point. 

I probably should stress the product offered here isn't a Cassady so if someone wants one of those they will need to continue searching the secondhand market. 

I will have a price tomorrow.  

HTH, 

Steve

if you need a tester steve I'm your man still got flex in my system lol 

mark

It certainly looks very interesting :)  I'm thinking - one scope in the middle and two more, one each side with those for alignment, to provide a triple imaging rig.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the delayed response. We were concerned at the weight so it has been redesigned, the finished product will be noticeably lighter than the prototype shown above. 

Thank-you for your patience. 
Steve

Apologies for the delayed response. We were concerned at the weight so it has been redesigned, the finished product will be noticeably lighter than the prototype shown above. 

Thank-you for your patience. 
Steve

i saw this a couple of weeks ago at flo it looks like a fantastic bit of kit well made and heavy well it was the prototype lol

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Steve, count me as interested .

Just one thought, I don't now what weight difference you might be talking about, but I suspect that most of these sold will end up on mounts with plenty capacity so would the additional matter?

• 1 month later...

Steve im curious as to the relationship between the mass of the saddle system and the mass it can reliable control, have you got any theory for it?

Our recent tests and analysis of pre-stressed cabbage stalk showed great promise, right up to the point where it broke  :biggrin:

Seriously, I just spoke with John. He says the finished article will be with us in around two weeks. 

Thank-you for your patience, 
Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Bump

Sorry Dave, I haven't forgotten, just been distracted by the move and now the sale. I have it on my desk waiting for final testing. It hasn't been anodised but I'll photograph it tomorrow. The price will be set soon, I'll post details :smile: 

HTH, 

Steve

Sorry Dave, I haven't forgotten, just been distracted by the move and now the sale. I have it on my desk waiting for final testing. It hasn't been anodised but I'll photograph it tomorrow. 

I hope John doesn't mind me posting these rough-and-ready photos of it in it's naked pre-anodised state :smile:

post-54-0-57598700-1440082639.jpg

post-54-0-17202400-1440082666.jpg

Archived