NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stratton Star Removal

ollypenrice

I'd never heard about this software but came across it in Nik Szymanek's excellent Astronomy Now 'Masterclass' article in the December issue.

https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/product.html?sessionid=2723521289&random=ab9f996b8d9cd1eecb762558e6858e0b&productid=300568169

I'm just about to start playing with it but the idea is that you can remove stars from the linear image and save both the starless linear data and the linear stars. These can then be processed separately and recombined later. In many images, particularly Milky Way nebulae, controlling the stars is the biggest single problem so this looks promising. Worth a punt at 15 euros, anyway.

I'll tell you how I get on with it.

Nik has also launched an imaging title 'Shooting Stars' which should be well worth reading because his processing skills are first class.

Olly

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a terrible payment interface it gets stuck asking for vat details.... let me know if it ever gets fixed then ill look at it.

Its that bad it repalced my details with yours Olly... very concerning.

And I got yours. Very unsatisfactory.

I've emailed them as follows;

Hello,

I tried to buy Stratton today but your payment interface has some serious problems. Firstly it got stuck on the VAT registration - which I didn't want anyway because I'm not VAT registered.

More worryingly, when I tried to put in my card details and billing/delivery address it opened the details of the previous person who had tried to buy the programme. I am a professional astronomy provider so I knew the name and contacted this person. He found on checking that my details were coming up on his screen. (He had not been able to get past the VAT registration either.)

So 1) I think you have a potential security problem and 2) I would still like to buy your programme but not by that method. Could you advise?

Thanks,

Olly Penrice, Les Granges Astronomy Holidays.

Olly

I have been experimenting with the paid for version of Straton but it restarts my desktop PC when carrying out the 'interpolation' part of the process with any image. I contacted the person marketing the product on Tuesday of last week by email but I haven't had a response yet which is a little disappointing. In fairness, the software doesn't crash my laptop but I don't want to image process on my laptop!

Results are reasonably promising but I really need to be able to use it on my 'image processing' PC to give it a proper run through. It has great potential.

No problem with the payment on-line system but then I didn't get involved with VAT.

I have been experimenting with the paid for version of Straton but it restarts my desktop PC when carrying out the 'interpolation' part of the process with any image. I contacted the person marketing the product on Tuesday of last week by email but I haven't had a response yet which is a little disappointing. In fairness, the software doesn't crash my laptop but I don't want to image process on my laptop!

Results are reasonably promising but I really need to be able to use it on my 'image processing' PC to give it a proper run through. It has great potential.

No problem with the payment on-line system but then I didn't get involved with VAT.

Earl and I had VAT thrust upon us, Steve! As I understand it we just tried to fill in the form (no mention of VAT) then were admonished for not having filled in the non-existant VAT bit...

Olly

By the way, the name is quite odd, too. It is vaguely like 'no stars' backwards. Hmmm.....

I'd never heard about this software but came across it in Nik Szymanek's excellent Astronomy Now 'Masterclass' article in the December issue.

https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/product.html?sessionid=2723521289&random=ab9f996b8d9cd1eecb762558e6858e0b&productid=300568169

I'm just about to start playing with it but the idea is that you can remove stars from the linear image and save both the starless linear data and the linear stars. These can then be processed separately and recombined later. In many images, particularly Milky Way nebulae, controlling the stars is the biggest single problem so this looks promising. Worth a punt at 15 euros, anyway.

I'll tell you how I get on with it.

Nik has also launched an imaging title 'Shooting Stars' which should be well worth reading because his processing skills are first class.

Olly

I have had this piece of software for a while but to be honest I have not been able to come to terms with it. I either remove the nebulosity along with the stars or leave a lot of them behind. But that just could be me.

Regards,

A.G

I have had this piece of software for a while but to be honest I have not been able to come to terms with it. I either remove the nebulosity along with the stars or leave a lot of them behind. But that just could be me.

Regards,

A.G

Try and get hold of a copy of Astronomy Now (Decemeber) and see if fo;;owing Nik's tutorial helps.

On my laptop, it seems to do what it should every time just using the default settings - the only time I have seen it grab nebulosity is when a section has burnt out to full saturation. The brightness control is non-destructive and has no effect on star selection.

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

Just downloaded the demo and tried it on a couple of images - very fast and very impressive.  I found it MUCH easier to use and more effective as any of the various Photoshop alternatives I've tried.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I'd echo that Michael

I've only played with it, but it seems very effective. Certainly more controllable than the Carboni/Morris star removal actions in PS.

.... and as if by magic, I have got it working on my desktop PC now - the only thing that has changed is that I have deleted a load of unused files so there is more free disk space available - there was 68Gb free, there is now 77Gb free :icon_scratch:

I have resent my original email to a different address so we'll see if I get any kind of response to that.

Archived