Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Celestron Nexstar Evolution Telescopes

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will this have celestron's polar align feature. It's going to be difficult to align it on a wedge otherwise?

It has been suggested elsewhere that it will,

but who knows ?

and to get anything sensible out of this weed better wait till tomorrow ?

Now I know you are winding me up...

Nahhh.... after all these years on SGL. I thought you would have become immune to that. :D

More serious. The integrated battery, manual clutches and charging via USB is definitely nice.

Guess we gonna see some of these features in a future CPC upgrade. Would be a logical step.

Tho I must say I find the switch to worm gears an ....."interesting" one. Don't know what to think of that honestly.

But wrt to the LI-Ion

I do not have happy experiences with them, their lifetime and their rechargability with life time, and not in the COLD neiver !

I and others elswhere have asked (to defening silence from Celestron or their agents!) how replaceable are they (will they be), , , operationally, servicing, or major intervention ?

The telescopes haven't been released yet so I am guessing your experience is with another battery in another product.

I am confident Celestron will have tested a number of batteries in cold conditions before choosing one. And I haven't noticed a 'deafening silence'. I fired off an email regarding the batteries when you asked the question last night and received an answer this morning - the battery will be replaceable by the customer :smiley: 

HTH, 

Steve

Will this have celestron's polar align feature. It's going to be difficult to align it on a wedge otherwise?

I don't know but I'll email Celestron today :smiley:

... to get anything sensible out of this weed better wait till tomorrow ?

Be fair Ptmarigan, I was posting 'sensible' responses to questions until 11pm last night  :coffee:

Steve

, I was posting 'sensible' responses to questions

_you_ were, yes ! :)

Thanks for the info about the Li-Ions, that is very good to know,

it will be of considerable interest elsewhere ( but I'll leave that to them to find out from their friendly local suppliers ;) ! )

GuillermoBarrancos, the new Evolution series aren't intended to compete with or replace the CPC models, they are essentially upgraded SE telescopes. 

HTH,

Steve :smiley:

As an upgrade the the SE range this mount looks much much beefier, I loved my 4SE was a cracking scope that rekindled the fire.

Factor in the costs of purchasing a separate li-ion battery to power an SE for 10 hrs and the price looks a little more reasonable. For deep sky work from a dark site, the handset will be preferable, even with the red filter set on Sky Safari, you do lose some dark adaption. On the SE handset, you can crank the brightness to almost nil.

I like the look of them, and li-ion batteries improving all the time.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Tempting.  There are bold claims regarding both imaging and tracking but as someone seriously thinking about the next step up from my 6SE the advanced VX option looks more sensible, particularly regarding price. But In the long run this has to be the way that scopes go and this must eventually replace the SE range.

I am confident Celestron will have tested a number of batteries in cold conditions before choosing one. And I haven't noticed a 'deafening silence'. I fired off an email regarding the batteries when you asked the question last night and received an answer this morning - the battery will be replaceable by the customer :smiley:

We have some more info from Celestron about the battery fitted to their new Celestron Evolution telescopes

"We use long life lithium iron phosphate batteries with numerous advantages over traditional lithium cobalt oxide designs, and even more against standard lead acid designs.  Our battery is rated to sustain two thousand charge cycles!  Additionally, it has a life expectancy of 10 years!  This greatly exceeds the battery longevity of most consumer products.  So, while the battery is user-replaceable, batteries should not normally need to be replaced if reasonable care is given to keep them charged". 

HTH,

I don't know but I'll email Celestron today :smiley:

Apologies for the delay. There was some confusion but we now have this update from celestron: 

"Regarding the polar align feature in NexStar Evo: We will have this feature available with the included NexStar+ hand controller, but the app will not have it immediately when the product ships.  We will provide updates to the app which will eventually include the polar align feature - estimated this summer.  Reminder that this feature is only used when the telescope is mounted on the optional wedge. "

HTH, 

• 2 months later...

Factor in the costs of purchasing a separate li-ion battery to power an SE for 10 hrs and the price looks a little more reasonable. For deep sky work from a dark site, the handset will be preferable, even with the red filter set on Sky Safari, you do lose some dark adaption. On the SE handset, you can crank the brightness to almost nil.

I like the look of them, and li-ion batteries improving all the time.

Chris

The way I plan to use the software is to pick the target then turn the tablet screen off. All I need to do is double-tap the screen and I am back in for another target.

All three Celestron Evolution telescopes are on a boat crossing the Atlantic :smiley:

They are due to dock in 10-15 days so should be ready for dispatch towards the end of the month or early next. 

We now have a clearer indication of their landed prices so our retail prices have been set lower. Indeed currently we have the lowest prices available from any UK astronomy store. 

As always, if you have placed a pre-order we will ensure you are not out of pocket when the telescopes are dispatched  :angel:

cel_evo6_1.jpg

Nice to hear that they have nearly "landed", has anyone got any idea of the stability of the 925 only reading other forums from the other side of the pond, a few have already landed and have been used, but I think the sites under construction/upgrade - be nice to know if these will be a little better portability wise - don't get me wrong though, I love "grappling" with the 1100, once set up you know that you've just SET UP!!!, be nice to know if the new li on batteries will plug in and run me pacemaker!!!!!

Paul.

Paul,

as far as the tripod is concerned it looks like the 9.25 scope comes with the newer tripod for the edge hd cpc series scopes. its a very nice and a very sturdy tripod which always helps. now as far as the arm is concerned and how well it can handle that load...good question!

Dave

• 1 month later...

i find it somewhat interesting that there hasn't been more posted on any of the forums on these new scopes.

i was really hoping to see everyones setups and/or images they were able to get out of them.

i wonder if they are selling well?

dave

I have the 9.25 version being delivered from FLO on Friday and if time permits I will post up some photos of it out of the box. If it is a clear night I will test it out at our nearby observing site. The actual scopes AFAIK are similar if not the same as existing C scopes out there so plenty of information to be had on them. The mount is probably more of interest in terms of set up, stability, internal battery life and the Wi-Fi operation. I will be concentrating on visual in any case so will try and report back on that.

Archived