SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Long Shot - Any Port at a Star Party?

DRT

It looks like the opportunity for clear skies in somewhat limited this weekend so I feel obliged to turn my hand to my other passion (obsession), which is the appreciation of Vintage Port.

I am one of the owners and administrators of an internet Port forum and regularly organise tastings. I have a modest cellar which is capable of supplying some interesting bottles.

One of the things we like to do on our forum is introduce wine lovers to the delights of Vintage Port. This seems like an opportunity to do that whilst the clouds pass over our heads.

I would be happy to host a small group of up to six people on Pitch 50 to taste three different styles of Port. This is not intended as an invitation to get whammed, simply an opportunity to taste something you might not choose to buy to drink on your own and to learn the difference between different styles of Port.

I have no affiliation to any Port producer and have nothing to gain from the exercise other than the satisfaction of knowing that I might have opened someone's mind to the delights of a nice glass of Port.

If you are interested please respond here.

DRT

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - what an offer!

I am already a port lover, but I would love an opportunity to learn more - I am very 'uneducated' when it comes to port, I just know I like it so I would love to volunteer for this.

Happy to go on the reserve list though to make room for those that aren't already port lovers but would definitely love to pick your brains over the weekend and get the address of that forum...

If I was nearer to you I would be interested; very rarely ever get to drink Port these days, but I used to work in the Wine Trade and sampled a fair few different Ports back in the 80s..........................happy days :smiley: 

Wow - what an offer!

I am already a port lover, but I would love an opportunity to learn more - I am very 'uneducated' when it comes to port, I just know I like it so I would love to volunteer for this.

Happy to go on the reserve list though to make room for those that aren't already port lovers but would definitely love to pick your brains over the weekend and get the address of that forum...

Grant,

You are very welcome to join me. First come, first served and all that.

I hesitate to post the address of the port forum as I think it breaches the rules of SGL. A moderator might tell me it's OK, in which case I will post the address in this thread.

See you at the weekend.

Derek

If I was nearer to you I would be interested; very rarely ever get to drink Port these days, but I used to work in the Wine Trade and sampled a fair few different Ports back in the 80s..........................happy days :smiley: 

Our tastings are within a short train ride from you. Send a PM if you want to join us :wink:

Hi Derek,

that sounds really interesting. when were you thinking of and how much would we owe you to cover the cost ?

cheers ,

I will be on site on Friday and Saturday night so it would be sometime then depending on the weather. It doesn't have to be dark to drink Port so could happen on Saturday afternoon/evening.

There is no cost. All I ask is that those who participate are genuinely interested and not just turning up for some free booze  :lol:

Derek

Grant,

I hesitate to post the address of the port forum as I think it breaches the rules of SGL. A moderator might tell me it's OK, in whuch case I will post the address in this thread.

Good point.

What do you reckon MODs?

Paul

At this point we have me, Grant, a monkey and Rowan. Two more are very welcome, a small number more can be accommodated but there is a point at which we run out of glasses and Port.

PS: does anyone know if the monkey has a real name?

let me know if im on the list…

show about some time before the hog roast or buffet ?

You are on the list.

Before the hog roast on Saturday would work well.

What time is the hog roast?

Grant,

You are very welcome to join me. First come, first served and all that.

I hesitate to post the address of the port forum as I think it breaches the rules of SGL. A moderator might tell me it's OK, in which case I will post the address in this thread.

See you at the weekend.

Derek

Post the link Derek, it's not an SGL 'rival' so not a problem for the Mods and some people may enjoy taking a look. Thank you for offering to organise another drinking/tasting party :)

it might be wasted on me as my tastebuds are not up to much, but if there's any left late at night ( Fri/Sat), and i need something to keep me going, i'll pop over...   its a very good offer though...

cheers mike

Kick-off is on Saturday at 4pm on Pitch 50 (Buzzard). If it is raining we might have "do a Putin" and occupy a table in the cafe :smiley:

Current attendee list is Grant, Astromonkey, Rowan and me. A few more would be welcome.

Mike - please feel free to join us. If not, drop by over the weekend and share the leftovers or perhaps a glass of Malt.

Archived