Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I am done, I think??

Rustysplit

After a bit of a soul searching and forgoing the widefield ranges that I just don't get on with, I think I now have the ep's that I need. I have also decided that I am happy to barlow the mid power range to give me the higher powers. I am using an Orion shorty plus 2x barlow, and to my eyes, it is excellent and does not detract from the image in any way. I know conventional wisdom says I should get a powermate, but I really can't see the point.

The main scope these are used in is 14"/F5 dob 1800 f/l

So, my line up is

27mm Panoptic  67x mag

18mm Radian     100x mag

14mm Radian     129x mag

12mm Radian     150x mag

When barlowed...

18>9mm             200x mag

14>7mm             257x mag

12>6mm             300x mag

I think I have just about covered the bases with a  small selection. I also have a 12mm Delos, but since I nabbed the 12mm Radian, I will probably sell it on, as it won't get used.

The Pan is a superb ep and justifiably popular. The Radians are very underrated in my view. I guess that they got left behind as the wider fov's became more popular. I love 'em. They give very sharp, flat views with great colour. The contrast at high mag on the Moon is stunning.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a good selection.i have gone with 4 ep's and a 2x barlow and it seems to suit me although in different focal lengths than you but not much difference.

1829fl scope

31mm

20mm

14mm

9mm

x2 for 7mm and 4.5 and thats me good for 60x-400x but tbh i use the 20mm for 95% of viewing

Radians are under-rated in my view too! I think it is a fashion thing since the Ethos came along, after that some were saying Delos was the new Radian and maybe it is. It is a big shame I am not in the UK I would have loved the 12mm from you.

Alan P

I reckon you're pretty much done too :)

Great selection you have there.

You could perhaps use a 5mm at the top end. You could get there with either a 10mm radian plus Barlow, or a 5mm Pentax XW these are nice (though I can't get on with them myself). 350x is a useful mag to have in a nice big scope.

That's a nice selection Alan. I am not a fan of barlows but I can see why many people are. It's not so much the image quality (usually the same accoutning for magnification) but the faffing that bugs me a bit.

I went down the route of more eyepieces (14) to cover three (now four) scopes and also every possible scope I'd ever buy.

Ay, that's a nice range and choice bit of kit, Rusty and I guess we're on a similar wavelengh. For 90% of my DSO viewing in the 10" f/5 I just use 3 EPs giving 125x, 90x and 52x but like Shane, rather than using a barlow prefer a run of higher power eyepieces, in my case Orthos for planetary and lunar work. 

That's a nice selection Alan. I am not a fan of barlows but I can see why many people are. It's not so much the image quality (usually the same accoutning for magnification) but the faffing that bugs me a bit.

I went down the route of more eyepieces (14) to cover three (now four) scopes and also every possible scope I'd ever buy.

Thats the route I've gone down now as well. The Shorty Plus and Ultima barlows are pretty good but I found they vignetted the FoV with certain ultra wide eyepieces. The Powermates and the ES TeleXtenders really do add nothing but the additional magnification though. 

I've recently "discovered" Radian's and feel they offer really excellent peformance for their used price of around £100. 

The lack of faff is one of the things like about the shorty plus. Takes up very little room in the case, weighs very little and when I am on a high mag target, it can just stay there as I ramp up the mag.

With no UWA ep's, the vignetting it not a worry for me.

This is a great approach since the three focal lengths are used in their original sequence to get to the next trio of higher magnifications.  When you set it up like this and there is now switching around out of order required, then the Barlowing becomes very intuitive.  :excl:

I guess a 10mm Radian would do it. Thanks to you and Steve, I might need to squeeze one last ep in the case and out of the wallet!!

you could always sell the rusty split.......Hush my mouth!!!! :)

I have a 6mm Radian and to be honest, it is my 'favorite' e/p. They certainly turn a smack into a punch!

The best feature for me has to be the "Instadjust". (I beleive the Radian's were the 'first' e/p to feature it).

I know conventional wisdom says I should get a powermate, but I really can't see the point.

Try one, or even (horror of horrors!) an ES Focal Extender.

Because eye relief is unchanged (unlike a Barlow), it really is just like using the same EP, but seeing a view of double the magnification. You get the same advantage of the effective doubling of the scope's focal ratio and all that means in terms of reduced aberrations, but they really are very transparent devices in use.

I'd been through a hat full of Barlows, including the 'legendary' TAL 1.25" 2x, but the ES FE is an absolute keeper. If the financial bottom fell out of my world, the ES FE, plus the MV 24 & 16mm EPs would be the last things to hit the classifieds, without doubt.

Russell

Archived