Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I am done, I think??

Rustysplit

So, after doing a trade fo my Delos for a mint pair of 10 + 5 mm Rads, my line up is

27mm Panoptic  67x mag

18mm Radian     100x mag

14mm Radian     129x mag

12mm Radian     150x mag

10mm Radian     180x mag

When barlowed...

18>9mm             200x mag

14>7mm             257x mag

12>6mm             300x mag

5mm Radian       360x mag

An 8mm would round it all off nicely giving me 225x and the option of 450x, yeah right :eek:

The 8mm is a luxury if one turns up, but as it is, I truly believe that the EP case is done. Well except for a couple of planetary filters :wink:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan,

Your never done. I said I was done when I said I could Powermate my 7mm Nagler for 3.5mm. I said the same thing when I bought the 3-6mm zoom and said this will cover down to 3mm.

I have since got the 3.5mm Delos and as you saw last week took the 3mm Radian, now I am looking at 2.5mm and yes I do have two 5mm eyepieces.

Alan.

The 8mm Radian is a very nice eyepiece, I borrowed a friends one and his 7mm XW Pentax the two were very evenly matched but I never did a report on them as I lost the notes. Apart from the FOV there was not a lot in it, the Pentax has a very good reputation but on some of the tergets I prefered the Radian.

Alan.

I wish you guys would stop tempting me!! :wink:  The 8mm is the one extra I will keep an eye out for. Luckily for me, or not depending how you view it, The 2 scopes that my ep's will get used in suit the rads very well. Future plans to grind a bigger dob mirror will also work well with them, so I really think I am done.

I wish you guys would stop tempting me!! :wink:  The 8mm is the one extra I will keep an eye out for. Luckily for me, or not depending how you view it, The 2 scopes that my ep's will get used in suit the rads very well. Future plans to grind a bigger dob mirror will also work well with them, so I really think I am done.

hurry up and start the grind!......could do with another big dob build!

Once you have a set of this quality, any further changes will only deliver tiny "tweaks" in performance or a bit more field of view really, I reckon.

If you "upgraded" the whole lot to, say, an Ethos / Delos mix my guesstimate is that you would need to add another £1K on top of your current investment. For what ????

£1K will go a long way towards a further scope aperture increase ......

Alan,

I like things to be just right even if they are secondhand, all the stuff I bought apart from the accident I had with the scope and 6mm Delos are as the day they were bought. I am trying to teach my son to look after things, he thinks money grows in the garden.

I have had two nights with the 3mm radian and of course 3.5mm Delos then the clouds moved in and don't what to go away, I am not so bothered as i hurt my hand rather badly on Monday and moving the scopes and handling eyepieces with a concrete floor is not the best mix, still it's on the mend ready for the clear skies to come back.

Alan.

Ouch, hope it gets better soon.

Failing that, ahem (star party) ahem, we could come over and move the 'scopes for you and handle the EPs!

Cheers

I'll be in that! I'll even keep a close eye on your kit and make sure your stock Celestron eyepieces are left exactly where they were, whilst I take my Delos EP's home with me :)

Once you have a set of this quality, any further changes will only deliver tiny "tweaks" in performance or a bit more field of view really, I reckon.

If you "upgraded" the whole lot to, say, an Ethos / Delos mix my guesstimate is that you would need to add another £1K on top of your current investment. For what ????

£1K will go a long way towards a further scope aperture increase ......

I fully agree John, the whole case load inc the case, filters, coma corrector, barlow torch and telrad cost me less than that.

Speedy recovery with the hand, Alan.

• 1 month later...

As I have been working most days over xmas and will also be over the new year period, I thought that I deserved a treat. So the elusive 8mm Radian is mine :grin:

So this now gives me a very complete, fully useable range of mag...

27mm Panoptic  67x mag

18mm Radian     100x mag

14mm Radian     129x mag

12mm Radian     150x mag

10mm Radian     180x mag

When barlowed...

18>9mm             200x mag

8mm                  225x mag

14>7mm             257x mag

12>6mm             300x mag

5mm Radian       360x mag

8>4mm               450x mag

Now to buy some clear sky to actually get to use them......

Archived