SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fullerscopes mk IV mount restoration.

Odd Thomas

After too long, I've finally finished the refurb of my Fullerscopes mk IV mount.

I went for gloss black finish as I think it contrasts nicely with the polished brass.

I intend to upgrade the drive motors as the next job.

The mount is intended for my Skylight 6" f15 and that will be fitted and balanced shortly.

post-7724-0-79869200-1357073861_thumb.jp

post-7724-0-50619400-1357073869_thumb.jp

post-7724-0-39314500-1357073877_thumb.jp

post-7724-0-31525700-1357073884_thumb.jp

Beautiful, love the paint scheme

I often wondered what the true weigh capacity of one of these is and how it would cope with modern instruments (considering fullerscopes reflector OTA's look pretty heavy)

Did you replace the steel shafts for stainless steel and are you doing your own drives or buying from AWR?

Really interested as I have an old but working MIII in the shed that I plan to do up at some stage, unfortunately not as pretty as that, only brass/bronze being the worm & worm wheels

PS, how did you make new danglers (whatever they are called) for the slow motion drives, one of mine is slightly damaged and the white plastic rod has yellowed

What a wonderful piece of work - you have done a great job with that :smiley:

With the Skylight 6" F/15 on board it is going to be an absolutely wonderful setup. If you ever take it to a star party expect very long queues to have a look at it and through it :grin:

Thanks for the positive comments guys, much appreciated.

Billhinge, I didn't replace the shafts, and the drives (hopefully) will be coming courtesy of a fellow MkIV owner. He is an electronics genius and has devised a new drive system utilising his own electronics. I shall post again once complete. I don't know exactly what the load bearing of these old mounts is, but it is far in excess of my EQ6, probably around the mesu 200 range at a guess. I had a mk111 many years ago with a 4" beacon hill refractor on, that will be a nice project for you. The castings were done at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, just across the road from Grubb Parsons I believe.

I haven't made new flexi drives (is that what you mean?) as the RA is motor driven (with the polished brass casing and the white feed cable)and the Dec is not fitted in the photo. I believe you can buy replacement flexis though. The brass knobs on the stalks in the photos are for the drive clutches, made from brass wardrobe knobs polished to within an inch of their lives! Much better than the Fullerscopes plastic (bakerlite?) offerings I think.

I would indeed love to get the complete set up to a star party at some stage John. I wish I had a house big enough to leave it set up somewhere, as it would make a superb display!

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom

Yes the flexible wands that turn the RA & Dec worm by hand, when I was young I used to see telescopes in Dixons and not knowing the technical term I used to call the wands danglers!

Reason I asked about the shafts was that my mkiii is prone to rusting, I know you can still buy 1" stainless steel bar and I was wondering how hard it would be to replace ( there is an article here http://fullerscopes.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/fullerscopes-mkiii.html )

In any case you have a wonderful looking mount there, certainly more character than modern mounts,

• 1 year later...

Just came across this thread. What a beautiful mounting and restoration you have done there!

Have you any pictures of your Skylight F15 that you could share with us? On the mount as well?

And then of course a detailed first light report... :grin:

Just fabulous!!

Dave

Archived