Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pretty bad image of the horsehead nebula, need some help

Chris Graham

I tried for the horsehead nebula and i know that this is difficult to image without a modifyed camera but i did get something.

Problem is the lines running through the image from top to bottom. I take it this is noise, but how do i get rid of it.

More frames took around 26 x 3mins with around 20 darks and a few flats.

Canon 350D btw and Orion 80ED.

Any ideas ?

Read noise off the camera. You can get rid of them from the dark stuff by gaussian blur but you've got it running through the neb as well. Latest version Noels Tools has something for that but don't know how well it works. Guess you could also clip the levels a tad but that might knacker things.

That flame is beautiful Chris, normally swamped a bit with red but the blue you've got coming through looks great.

Chris

Who cares about the lines that is a superb image, you should be proud of it.

I am getting images (most planetary) that I would never have imagined getting two or three years ago. I work on the Victor Meldrew principle when I get anything resembling a decent shot. I would be really pleased to get something like that.

Keep them coming.

Geoff

Your are right !

When i look back at my first ever image of Saturn it was really bad, so i'm over the moon that i can finally capture stuff i'm pleased with.

ok for a laugh heres the pic of Saturn back in 2004 :rolleyes:

saturn1.jpg

Anyway back on topic.

Tried Noels tools and it made a big difference. Still not too happy, but hey its a difficult object, may think of modding my cam after the observatory is built.

07.02.07%20Horsehead%20Nebula%201h%2018min.jpg

Yes I can see them, but just. They are quite parallel, and are more prevalent from the Head down , moreso in the right corner of the image.

I really had to look for them. A normal look at the picture would not reveal them, and they do nothing to detract from what is a very good capture.

Barkis. :rolleyes:

Your are right !

When i look back at my first ever image of Saturn it was really bad, so i'm over the moon that i can finally capture stuff i'm pleased with.

ok for a laugh heres the pic of Saturn back in 2004 :D

saturn1.jpg

Anyway back on topic.

Tried Noels tools and it made a big difference. Still not too happy, but hey its a difficult object, may think of modding my cam after the observatory is built.

07.02.07%20Horsehead%20Nebula%201h%2018min.jpg

Hey Chris, I have about a hundred of Saturn that look like that. At the time that's how I thought it should look. :rolleyes:

Barkis. :wink:

Archived