NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bin tripod mount

does anyone have any suggestion for a tripod mount for a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70 bins? I have a mount that came with them but it results in a lot of shake from the slightest touch or breeze.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok i guess i need to specify I didn't mean mount as in tripod I meant as the bracket that attaches the bins to the tripod. I have a heavy duty tripod meant for my 4x5 studio view camera. So it's sturdy as anything.

sorry i miss worded that haha.

I've got a head from an old opticron birding tripod that gave up the ghost but the head was servicablwe so I mounted it on a Hama Profil Duo III legs. The profil Duo series are very good in terms of stability and very cheap for what you get.

I didnt notice you lived in America, so it's probably not very cost effective to buy one from the UK. In which case any metal one should be better. I've also heard of people filling the sides of the plastic bracket with epoxy, but metal brackets don't cost that much so whether it's worth it or not I don't know.

Celestron SkyMaster 15x70mm binoculars review - Review

I didnt notice you lived in America, so it's probably not very cost effective to buy one from the UK. In which case any metal one should be better. I've also heard of people filling the sides of the plastic bracket with epoxy, but metal brackets don't cost that much so whether it's worth it or not I don't know.

Celestron SkyMaster 15x70mm binoculars review - Review

much thanks for that I may try to modify my plastic one first since I'm prohibited to spend money by my wife lol.

If you want a good one, available in the US, I can vouch for the UA L-bracket (->Accessories->General). Like everything Larry makes, it does the job at least as well as you expect. (No connection with the company, merely a very satisfied customer for many years.)

• 2 weeks later...

hi

interesting idea with the celestron adapter, i have the 15x70s and adapater - anyone tried the epoxy technique and can report back whether a useful idea? i have a glass fibre kit somewhere, i could just use the two part stuff without the fibre glass i suppose? it sets rock hard.

"L" brackets are pretty easy to make, vice and a heavy lump hammer, if you dont have a vice at home you can always nip down the local garage and ask to use theirs for ten minutes (take em a coffee and i doubt they will say no :) ) you never know, they may even have some better quality metal off cuts you can use

Edit - congrats on the additions

"L" brackets are pretty easy to make, vice and a heavy lump hammer, if you dont have a vice at home you can always nip down the local garage and ask to use theirs for ten minutes (take em a coffee and i doubt they will say no :) ) you never know, they may even have some better quality metal off cuts you can use

Edit - congrats on the additions

by god I didn't even think of that! My father-in-law does some blacksmithing for fun so he has an anvil and all of the hammers! you're awesome!

Regarding modifying the bracket that came with the Celestron bins: the best place for these is in the bin (trashcan, state-side :)). They could not even hold my 10x50s properly. You could salvage the 1/4" mounting screw, and use it to make your own from an arbitrary L-shaped bit of steel.

Archived