Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which season is best for stargazing?

stumids

As a newbie to astronomy I have only caught the back end of winter and now the beginning of spring. So, the thread about "haze" got me thinking :D. Which one of our seasons is best for stargazing?

I didn't have my scope until 4 weeks ago, so am very green, but I quite liked the end of winter because it was dark nice and early and if we had high pressure, we had clear dark nights which was good for viewing. I would think that mid winter on a good clear night is spectacular but must wait and see. Now coming into spring, the nights are drawing out so it's not getting dark as early and we currently, no doubt due to atmospheric conditions, have this haze affect, which is detracting from my viewing experience. No doubt summer will bring clearer skies (fingers crossed) but it won't be getting dark until 10pm onwards soon enough so the time spent observing will be cut dramatically unless I catch up on my sleep at work :). Autumn, I presume will be similar to spring, so.........what is the best season for stargazing?

Stu

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For DSO observing from UK, March and April are best. Herschel made half of all his discoveries in those months. Nights of decent length, decent weather conditions, and the galaxy-rich regions of Ursa Major, Leo, Coma, Virgo are well placed.

'Good' nights in Winter beat 'good' nights in summer, but I seem to have far more clear nights in summer so I actually get more observing done then.

I think the nice thing is that as the year progresses different objects are best placed for viewing so it's all good really.

In my limitted experience I've found late winter early spring to be best... (Feb/March)

The reason being that the earth has cooled much more than in early winter and there is less incident solar radiation to heat it back up, therefore there is less heat haze.

I was quite surprised when I compared the viewing a distant radio antenna from Kielder at both Autumn and Spring star camps. In October it was wobbling all over the place as we'd had an 'Indian summer' but in March I could practically read the warning stickers!

But I do enjoy wrapping up warm in the cold...funny like that!

I would have thought that clear winter nights would best but was just interested in more experienced views. I suppose it may come down to personal choice.

Interesting that different objects are better viewed at differing times of the year. Is there a resource anywhere that gives me this information? I've downloaded stellarium but cannot recall this function.

Here anyway, its usually Autumn. Days and nights tend to be within a couple of degrees of one another so thermals aren't such a problem. Winter and spring tend to be wet and windy and summer is preposterously hot - even at night the temp can be in the mid 70s and seeing non-existent.

Having said that, its been cloudy for all but 7 of the last 93 nights so ANY night were its clear is good by me!!! :)

Tonight's Sky

is a good place to see what's available at certain times...but you're right, it would be good to have somewhere that you could put a target in and it gave you the optimum viewing days/ times etc.

Maybe someone else knows of such a resource

I started out with a Phillips book called Stargazing with binoculars, and that gave a month by month guide of what is good to see. From there, I looked in S&T pocket sky atlas to see what else was around in the same sort of area.

your can fast forward Stellarium a day at a time by pressing the + key and backward by pressing the - key...

Move the time forward to your fav viewing time using Ctrl + this advances 1 hour then relesase the Ctrl key as see what passes throughout the year...

Billy...

your can fast forward Stellarium a day at a time by pressing the + key and backward by pressing the - key...

Move the time forward to your fav viewing time using Ctrl + this advances 1 hour then relesase the Ctrl key as see what passes throughout the year...

Billy...

Thanks Billy, great info.

When I lived near the equator, it was pretty boring, sky-wise. Same old-same old.

Now back in the UK, I get a thrill as I see the latest constellation creeping up from the East. So for me - it's like being asked to chose your favorite child. All four are just fine by me!

Which season, Good question. The weather this winter has been dismal for astronomy. Dogma that winter is best has lost it in my books. The few nights I got out were invariably marred by dew....Any season when the conditions are good is my answer. Dogma that mid summer is no good, is also wrong in my books. Just need to get out late and enjoy, lots to see, milkyway bright, and the warm is more comfortable....

Archived