Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time = Total failure

FINALLY got to set up my telescope Early this morning in 13 degree weather at 3am this morning. Leveled it out, pointed it true north, plugged it in, calibrated it and Valla, NOTHING!! I couldn't see a darn thing through it at all. Yes I did have the cover off lol. Beautiful clear sky and everything.

I have the Twinstar 6" iOptron GPS "goto". Did all the steps that the manual called for as far as programming goes with the hand controller and everything. I spent over an hour out there and only came back inside after I couldn't feel my extremities anymore.

Not sure where I went wrong yet but as soon as my bones warm up some i'll be giving this another go.

This may appear as another stupid question but the back cover that covers the mirror, does that stay on the scope or is the mirror suppose to be exposed? I googled this everywhere but to no avail and the manual is just lousy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Wolfspride! Did you mean that you couldn't focus on anything or that you couldn't locate anything? If it's focus, have a go in the daylight at a distant object. Make absolutely certain you are looking well away from the Sun and see how the focusser operates. I'm not familiar with that scope, but I don't think the back mirror cover is relevant here.

These goto mounts are a bit of a challenge first time out. Do you have any other local astronomers nearby who could help?

I am sure there is someone on here with the mount who could talk you through the process live one evening..

I woudl suggest you try it in the day (not at the Sun!) but at a local church spire etc to get used to the scope and then try the pole star.

Get the pole star in the finder and the low power eyepiece. Probably 25mm and then go up to a higher power say 10mm. You should see the pole star as a bright point of light. If you look to the side of the Pole star there should be a much fainter star. The Pole star is a double star!

If this all works your optics are fine and the focus is fine..

Then you are left with the goto issue..I am a manual person so I will leave this aspect to those who know more than me!

Good luck, do report back.

Mark

Black at the moon! Something is very wrong?

As you say take off the front cover...You need to aim the open end of the tube at the object you are trying to see.

Try in the day time as I say at a far object...or TV ariel etc..

Mark

Mark

If the front of the mirror has a cover on it (ie:a dust cover) then yes, that needs to be removed. You basically need to look at the path the light takes through the scope and make sure there's nothing in the way.

If it's a focusing issue... If you point it roughly at a bright star, then slowly move the focuser in and out you should get it... if it was a vagulely clear night you certainly shouldn't have been able to find a bit of sky with no stars in it :-)

Sounds like a more basic issue to me... Keep at it!!

As has been suggested, try it at a ground based target in daylight to be sure all is working. Something in the opposite direction to the sun ideally :-)

Ben

WOW! Just WOW !!! Call me an idiot !!! seriously.

I took the advise from here and set my scope up on a daylight fixture. Glad I did too. Now I know why I was seeing total blackness. Yes before anyone asks, i did have then front cover off lol. Little did i know that there is another mirror just inside the cover that needs to be turned towards the Lens until i started playing around with it a bit.

Geeze i could start a new thread about moronic things i have done and would probably the only poster in there

WOW! Just WOW !!! Call me an idiot !!! seriously.

I took the advise from here and set my scope up on a daylight fixture. Glad I did too. Now I know why I was seeing total blackness. Yes before anyone asks, i did have then front cover off lol. Little did i know that there is another mirror just inside the cover that needs to be turned towards the Lens until i started playing around with it a bit.

Geeze i could start a new thread about moronic things i have done and would probably the only poster in there

You mean the secondary mirror? You turned the secondary towards the focuser?

I'm horrified to hear that the secondary mirror (the small oval angled mirror behind the focus tube) was so far out of alignment that it wasn't reflecting light out through the focus tube!

With is in mind, you really, really need to read up on the thorny subject of 'collimation' because this will become very important when you start looking at the night sky as the positioning of the secondary mirror in relation to the focus tube and the primary mirror (the large mirror at the bottom of the tube) is quite critical to get the best out of your telescope.

At least you have made a worthwhile start!!

PS, don't touch either mirror surface with your fingers when making any adjustments.

I felt dumbfounded but no big deal. It was an easy fix. Went to Barnes and Noble this morning and bought a good book on Astronomy. " The Backyard Astronomers Guide" Covers all the basics and is very informative so far for a Novice like myself

Powered the scope back up after doing the settings and no Motor function at all. Only the controller seems to work. Just my luck

You could also do with some hands on help from a local astronomer.

It sounds like you are getting there though..

As has been said do not touch the mirrors...

Look up astro babies collimation advice to help line everything up...

Not sure onn the Dec motors, what make and model is it?

Mark

Sorry now have seen your earlier post...i optron...That is a well known make so maybe worth a call to them next week...

iOptron Corporation6F Gill Street

Woburn MA - 01801Phone : 866-399-4587Mobile : 781-569-0200Fax : 781-935-2860

Mark

Archived