My first rubbish image of saturn!

Hi everyone, just thought I'd give you all a bit of a laugh with my first attempt at imaging Saturn. I only have a fairly small scope and used a converted cmos webcam, but after fumbling around with registax etc, has made me want to look into this more :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, I love it...

It's better than my first image of Saturn, mine looked more like a bat, there's no doubt though the first time I gazed at Saturn (just 4 days ago) through my scope, I had to pick my jaw off the floor, then get the kids and wife out of bed, then knock on my neighbors doors to show them (and they seemed pleased) :D

Hi Andy,

That looks like a pretty good image to me, well done.

I've been viewing only for the past 3 weeks with my first scope and it did come with Neximage CCD but I haven't even thought about using it yet, still too much learning to go through before I start getting into imaging.

Very impressive, hope to see more.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I just found an old webcam sitting around so thought I'd convert it and see what happens. I reckon that I could get a slightly sharper image in ideal conditions, there was a light wind last night, and unfortunately I live in town so am viewing over houses and with street lights everywhere!

That said however I'm wondering if imaging Saturn with my little 4.5" scope is just pushing it's limitations, after all regardless of what the ladies say size does matter lol.

I am quite looking forward to the moon rolling around again though and will post some pics when it does.

Thanks again.

Looks like a very good first attempt to me ! :D and i havent even got my first scope yet lol. I do know that when i get my scope i will let every single person i know in the world see the picture a thousand times lol.

Well done and good luck with your next try :p

Thanks wingedgirl what scope are you thinking of getting?

Also I'm curious as most people recommend the Philips SPC880/900 webcam as its a CCD and cheap, however this converted lifecam thats about 5+ years old seems pretty ok and I hagh high hopes for it on the moon. Any comments on the benefit of the Philips, and does anyone know how to adjust the webcam settings for best performance?

Cheers :D

Thanks wingedgirl what scope are you thinking of getting?

Also I'm curious as most people recommend the Philips SPC880/900 webcam as its a CCD and cheap, however this converted lifecam thats about 5+ years old seems pretty ok and I hagh high hopes for it on the moon. Any comments on the benefit of the Philips, and does anyone know how to adjust the webcam settings for best performance?

Cheers :D

The Phillips uses a CCD rather than cmos sensor, which according to most sites is better for various reasons. Morgan Computers are offering a flashed SPC880 (flashed is where the firmware is upgraded to a 900NC) with filter and adapter for around £39 plus postage so comparing the results with your current camera would not be a costly experience.

To change setting, try using SharpCap and play about with the gain or brightness etc... Going back to your original post, that's a good shot given the scope and location you're in

you've gone one step further than me. i've got a scope and a philips spc900 webcam but i have to keep running through the house cos i can't get the pc to the garden. i tried the other day but it took me about 40 trips just to get set up and focussed by which time i was too tired.

well done

Adam

Don't be too hard on yourself...I tried to capture Saturn for the first time last night as well, and I think my attempt looked far worse. I find a bit of comfort in telling myself it's still a learning experience!

Archived