Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Farm fields and Astonomers?

astroimpulse

I used to metal detect, and on a local dairy farm the farmer would often let the cows into the same field as me and then stand laughing as they followed me around the field... cows are quite inquisitive :p

Try kicking a ball around the field, that has them scampering after the ball. Might churn the milk in the udders :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top marks Alistair :D

And to all others.

I think it's a cracking discussion and worthwhile perusing.

I talked to the PO owner and she wasn't too aware of actual farmers but said most of the land is owned by one family. There's one hell of a lot of it. At least 6 or 7 farms too.

I'll contact them and then they'll likely put me onto which ever farmer is currently farming which part of their land I'm interested in. Could be a good way to go.

As a farmer myself I've been having a chuckle reading this thread. I love the reference of the farmer almost being some kind of new primate described by David Atemborough "they are by nature very wary, even suspicious of someone asking them for anything.The modern farmer is typically very bright with a huge practical knowledge."

I must say brianb's idea of paying rent to the farmer is quite inspired but after what he's said about farmers on here before,I'm afraid I'd be waiting for him with both barrels!

Seriously though as long as people are straight and honest, show the farmer respect for his land and privacy and always let him know when you are planning a visit there should be no problem. If there is one thing that get's on a farmers nerves is people sneaking onto his land without permission.

I would also say if its a livestock farm to ask which fields are clear of cattle at night (unless its winter when they are inside). Cows will pester you to death once they notice something different in the field (they will also panic if spooked). Have a good shine around with a torch too as cow muck and telescopes don't mix very well.:D

SC, David Attenborough would have a field day round here, some of our clients probably don't even merit the term sub-primate :D:evil6:. Of course, in a previous life when working out of Nantwich, they were all superhumans

I love the reference of the farmer almost being some kind of new primate described by David Atemborough "they are by nature very wary, even suspicious of someone asking them for anything.The modern farmer is typically very bright with a huge practical knowledge."

That is so funny. :D

Awesome...thanks SC. :D

Can I come on your farm? :) To live? :) :)

You must have some outstanding spots to use.

Absolutely and rent free if you clean out the bull!

To be honest the sky is quite light polluted here I would say yellow on the LP map.

To answer the Primate question, farmer DNA has been recovered from a well chewed piece of straw which indicates a sub species developed around 200 years ago when the main primate group moved into towns leaving the farmer to develop undisturbed....easily recognisable by its pungent odour, ruddy face and large leathery hands. Very different to the pale soft skinned town dwelling cousin.

Some male members of the farmer group become very aggressive during the rambler hunting season sprouting white hair over their collars....these are better known as the "silver neck" and should be approached with extreme caution.

Git orf moy laaaand! :)

But, in previous location, there was farming concern over Hare Coursing, and amateur (in situ!) butchering of livestock. I even saw a newly erected stile, miles from anywhere, systematically chopped up, a mere few days after it had been built. :D

I have learned (from experience!) that cattle can (do) get VERY spooked after dark. I simply lost track of the path... and ended up in a "stampede". Never cleared a five-bar gate quite so fast! :)

I know Cheshire now seems to cover the whole of NW England, but are you near Weston, Crewe? I often stay at Wychwood Park. A bit heavy on the LP what with the hotel in the middle of the golf course, surrounded by the houses...but better than where I live!

Oi be farmer!

Gerroff mee laaand!! (always wanted to say that).

Apart from all those beards and all that Gore-Tex, I wouldn't have a problem with astro-nuts'

Course there aren't many around here, and anyway 'around here' everywhere is a dark site so if there were any, they'd have no reason to set up in one of my paddocks.

They'd just set up on their porch with a tinny.

But if someone wanted to drive 2 hours from Melbourne they'd be welcome. :D

I know Cheshire now seems to cover the whole of NW England, but are you near Weston, Crewe? I often stay at Wychwood Park. A bit heavy on the LP what with the hotel in the middle of the golf course, surrounded by the houses...but better than where I live!

Yes not far from Weston.

I know of one or two people who have had trouble when observing with binoculars or small refractors from public footpaths on or near farmland. Some farmers are liable to think you're using astronomy as a front and are really casing the place for a raid. Somebody else who went to the same place later was challenged but left alone. Why? Because he had a "contraption" (a small truss Dob) instead of binoculars or a "proper" telescope. To be fair, landowners round here get plenty of trouble from fly-tippers, motorbikes, livestock thieves, ramblers who think they can go anywhere etc etc - Hugh

hi,

my mate was only telling me yesterday how he had disabled the street light at the back of his house, i think he just used a small amount of brute force in the right place and it was gone. no damage was made . i'll get back to you about it.

Adamski

hi,

my mate was only telling me yesterday how he had disabled the street light at the back of his house, i think he just used a small amount of brute force in the right place and it was gone. no damage was made . i'll get back to you about it.

Adamski

Not the way to go, in my opinion. It is much better to contact the local authorities, or simply get a portable set up. There is currently some effort going on here on campus to get lights replaced by more downward-facing versions to reduce LP.

(Caveat: IANAL)

Not grey at all.

Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980 states:

137 Penalty for wilful obstruction.

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

In the terms of the Act, a footpath is deemed a highway. A level 3 fine was increased to £1000 by the Criminal Justice Act 1982.

Thanks for clearing that one up, I had not realised that the law covered this.

But lets apply some common sense here - who else are you going to obstruct from using the footpath at 3am ? :D

I shan't try it though, I am a law abiding chap.

(Caveat: IANAL)

Not grey at all.

Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980 states:

137 Penalty for wilful obstruction.

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

In the terms of the Act, a footpath is deemed a highway. A level 3 fine was increased to £1000 by the Criminal Justice Act 1982.

I live near the fosse way which is a byway open to all traffic. Parts of it are 60' wide. If I set up my kit and there is 55' to one side of me am I wilfully obstructing the highway?

I live near the fosse way which is a byway open to all traffic. Parts of it are 60' wide. If I set up my kit and there is 55' to one side of me am I wilfully obstructing the highway?

I would guess that someone [the courts] could interpret it as you wilfully obstructing the 5' of it that you are using ...

Archived