Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fitting a crayford focuser to Skymax 180

Regarding photo's. The very same thing was asked this morn in the Tal Users group. Here's aquick copy n paste....

There are a couple of ways to put them on here(Tal Group) and on the main sgl board.

1/ Put your pics on an external webpage. I use Flickr, as it is free for me to use, 'cause I've got a BT account. There are many others out there, I believe. Then you can right click on the images on there and get the image info that starts with http...blah, blah. Copy that info and when you're typing a reply, click on the yellow icon and paste the http line into the box. Hey presto, your image will appear. You may need to find a smaller image to let the pic be posted, if it's classified as being too big. Again, Flickr certainly lets you choose different sizes of pic.

2/ Open a sgl album, found if you click 'control panel'. Download pics from your harddrive to this album. There is a size limit. Once there, right click on either the full size pic or the thumbnail pic to get the http line. Do as above, to get it into a discussion thread.

Hope that helps,

Andy.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking again, its more likely that there is an adapter fitted to take the 2" diagonal, which is why it measures 61-62 mm. So maybe you are trying to fit the SCT adapter to an adaptor, which is why it doesnt fit.

Check if there is another bit you can remove from the back of the scope.

I've attached a pic of what it should look like to take the SCT adapter.

Barry

post-25727-133877600316_thumb.jpg

post-25727-133877600323_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics Bazzaar.That is exactly what i have.It is 2" fitting,the adaptor is knowhere near big enough.Nearly bald after pulling most of my hair out!!!

Regards,

Sooty.

Annoyingly, having established the facts, all we can conclude is that there is NO way to fit an SCT focuser to a new Skymax pro 180. Synta(Skywatcher/Celestron etc,) have introduced a major design change and told no one, catching customers and suppliers of aftermarket products out.

Worse still, the original focuser was non standard size, here was a chance to bring it into line so you wouldn't need any adapter to access a large range of SCT threaded items. But they chose not to.

Genius

Barry

It's the black model.Thinking now i may have the wrong adaptor.It screws into the focuser but not to the scope.The diagonal goes into a tube,with a retaining ring that screws on to the back.Wish i could put a picture up!

Sooty.

Have you measured the internal diameter of the adapter ? The SW/SCT adapter is 48mm internlly, I am thinking that you might have purchased a Meade ETX/SCT adapter which is smaller internally.

Peter

• 1 month later...
Quick update.Have contacted FLO,they tried the adaptor on there own 180PRO,with no luck.They are now trying to find a suitable one.

Sooty.

Hello all

Does anyone know if this adapter is available? I have emailed FLO also asking this but thought I'd check here also.

Thanks

Turns out there isn't an adapter still, as aluded to by Bazzaar above. Flo don't do one so I guess it is just tough luck if you want to fit a Crayford on the New Skywatcher 180 MAks. Ho hum

Also had this last week with the 180. Bought from FLO but adaptors didn't fit.

Looks like it has become a 2" back and they didn't tell anyone including FLO.

On the plus side, a DSLR now fits with a T ring and standard 2" nose piece.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 months later...

A few more photos of the "newer" Skymax 150 back end. Same problem - the fitting has changed to accommodate the 2" back. I'm afraid the statement on FLO's site about the SCT adapter is wrong. It doesn't fit ALL Skymax Mak's. :):mad::)

First - the back end with the 2" diagonal adaptor in place:

post-24888-133877659633_thumb.jpg

Second - with the 2" diagonal adaptor removed:

post-24888-133877659636_thumb.jpg

Note the dimensions. The end plate is internally and externally threaded.

If anyone has found an adaptor that works, PLEASE post up the details. Otherwise, if you've got one of these scopes you are stuck with the moving mirror for focus. :(:mad::mad:

You are right, Skywatcher have changed the thread on some of thier Maksutov models so the product description is out of date, the adapter now works only with earlier models. To be fair we did replace the price with a 'call' notice to prevent anyone ordering it in error (the only UK dealer to have done so).

I understood Skywatcher have changed thier Maksutov threads to regular SCT threads so SCT fitting focusers and accessories would screw straight on. I guess they have made another change.

When we know what Skywatcher have done and which models are affected we'll update the product description and make the adapter available again.

Hope that helps :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sooty

I've done a design for a workable adaptor to get the Baader Steeltrack onto the mysteriously sized Maks - I've had it costed and, as ever, a one-off is going to be relatively pricey, but the costs come down with order size to more manageable levels...

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks

Sooty

I've done a design for a workable adaptor to get the Baader Steeltrack onto the mysteriously sized Maks - I've had it costed and, as ever, a one-off is going to be relatively pricey, but the costs come down with order size to more manageable levels...

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks

Hello Mak One

I'd be interested in that also, is your steeltrack just a standard 2" fit?

Thanks

Jeremy

As the new skymaxes have a 2" visual back, can't you just attach a 2" to T thread adaptor and then a T thread to SCT adaptor, which are both sold by Modern Astronomy? Not exactly elegant, but probably easier than getting a custom made one, possibly?

Odd Dob...

Would the 2" adapter fit over the threaded backplate (note dims in picture earlier in thread), or with the non-threaded star diagonal adapter (also in the pictures earlier) that's supplied with the scope?

Great if it would, but I somehow doubt it, as FLO, OVL and Baader have all drawn blanks so far on obtaining a suitable adapter. Following conversations with Steve at FLO I know that he's trying to source something suitable, bespoke or otherwise...

Any ideas welcomed...

I don't really, know, and seeing there's apparently multiple versions of the scope floating about that nobody realised I think we're in tiger country here.

I have a 2" diagonal stuck in the back of mine, so I don't see any reason it would not be possible to put a 2" to T adaptor, etc in instead of the diagonal. I have absolutely no idea if this will work or not. Certainly removing the diagonal will shorten the path from primary to eyepiece, so it could end up being tricky obtaining focus, depending how much travel there is in the focuser.

Also, this would mean there would be two focusing mechanisms. The integral one to the scope and a bolted on SCT one. I have no idea what the implications of that are either!

• 2 weeks later...

A possible solution?

Requires 3 pieces

-the threaded collar that attaches the 2" adapter

-a Skywatcher MAK to SCT adapter

-a steel washer (inside diameter 52mm, outside 65mm)

Hard to explain (for me anyway) in words what I am trying to do so maybe the picture will help

IMG_1219.jpg

As you can see the Mak Sct adapter is too small to fit inside the larger threaded collar, so I am hoping that the washer will make up the difference. I am hopefully getting hold of this washer tonight (is being made up by a friend) and seeing if this works. Will post results.

Hope this helps

Jeremy

Sweet. Got the washer tonight and it works.

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

Whilst having crayford on the back of these is far from a necessasity it does make foucusing easier, especally at high mag (or a webcam) where the image jumps around with the movement of the mirror.

IMG_1228.jpg

It works on the 150 Mak too...!

post-24888-133877677692_thumb.jpg

post-24888-133877677697_thumb.jpg

Only a 2mm plastic prototype washer, but it'll be a metal one by the end of tomorrow. Even in plastic it screws up nice and tight.

Brilliant. I'm now officially very chuffed.

Big thanks to Woody for keeping it simple!

:D:D:D

Archived