Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fitting a crayford focuser to Skymax 180

For the past hour i have tried to fit a Antares dual speed crayford,just can't get my head around it.I have the MAK-SCT adaptor,but everything i tried just does't fit,the adaptor looks to small.:)

The light has faded now,so will have to wait until tomorrow.

Must be something simple i've missed,i hope.

Regards,

Sooty.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the adaptor ? Adaptors - Skywatcher Maksutov to SCT adapter. The adaptor is threaded M48 internally to suit the thread on the visual back of the 180 and SCT externally. The flange on the adaptor faces the telescope when screwed on and the crayford screws onto the adaptor. I use one of these on my Skymax 150 together with one of these LR-SCT adaptors which acts as a locking ring (item third from bottom)

Peter

Do you have the Gold Tube model or the Black Tube one?

I don't know about the black tube one, but on the gold tube one, the diagonal attaches to a short Mak<->1.25" tube. This tube unscrews and is replaced by the Mak<->SCT adaptor. The Antares focuser shoiuld then attach to the adaptor, and the diagonal goes into the Antares.

It's the black model.Thinking now i may have the wrong adaptor.It screws into the focuser but not to the scope.The diagonal goes into a tube,with a retaining ring that screws on to the back.Wish i could put a picture up!

Sooty.

It's the black model.Thinking now i may have the wrong adaptor.It screws into the focuser but not to the scope.The diagonal goes into a tube,with a retaining ring that screws on to the back.Wish i could put a picture up!

Hmmm... Stranger and stranger :hello2:

I can't help further since I know nothing about the black tube model - and it certainly sounds like it's different.

Why not give Steve a call at FLO?

FLO are very helpful - even if there's no immediate sale involved - and I'll bet he can solve the issue in about two minutes over the phone! :hello2:

Will try to explain a little better.With the diagonal removed,un screw the 2 set screws and what looks like a retaining ring that screws onto the back of the scope,i am now left with a threaded 'piece' that is attached to the scope.I thought that the adaptor screws onto this,but its a good inch or more to small.Will try FLO later.

Thanks for all the info though.

Sooty.

So everything has to come off the back-end of the scope,even the black threaded piece about 70mm wide,is that correct? Thats the 'bit' that i can't move!

Sorry for being a pain chaps.

Sooty.

Hmmm... I don't want to tell you "in the dark" (so to speak) to unscrew something that may be part of the telescope assembly itself, but suffice it to say that if all is well, with the adaptor ring screwed on, your Mak 180 should look like the image on the lower right:

synta_maksutov_sct_adapter.jpg

(above image from FLO's description page for the adaptor)

Just ordered above adaptor.The image lower left,is where i have got to,sure i think i understand now.Would be so much easier if i could put pics up!!!!

Hopefully,this issue will be re-solved very soon.

Thanks again.

Sooty.

Hi,

I live in Holland, Rotterdam. I ordered from FLO a skymax 180, and a MoonLite focuser 2" SCT. The MoonLite for my Celestron 925 CPC. I would like to use the focuser on the skymax as well. So I need an adapter! Do you think the normal Mak 180 to SCT 2 " will be ok? When everything is screwed off the skymax, there is a short 61-61 mm OD tube left. The adapter should be screwed over this I think. Maybe there is a difference between gold and black skymax 180. I have the black version. Thanks a lot!

Gerrit

• 1 month later...

Still struggling! Just measured that back of the scope,where i think the adaptor goes,and it is around 62mm,the adaptor at its widest is only 53mm! Have taken some photos,but no idea how to put them up.Could some kind person please help,as i'm totally clueless!!!

Sooty.

For goodness sake! you still haven't fitted this yet?

Have you got the original eyepiece holder off yet?

62mm? I've just measured my Skymax 150, which I assume is the same for this purpose, and there is NOTHING that is anywhere near 62mm!

Are you sure you have a Skymax 180?

Did your scope come with 2inch lenses and diagonal?

I notice current models are advertised with these when they used to be 1.25 inch. It could be SW have changed the Skymax range to be 2 inch as standard. If so it looks like the dealers have been caught out and are supplying adapters that nolonger fit.

Barry

Archived