Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why has no one ever contacted earth?

Red Coffee

Think of the diversity of life on earth; the plants and animals that have existed that have come and gone before mankind came on the scene.

As far as we can tell, we are the only animal that has evolved to a state of conciousness and communication to the extent where we can share and explain our thoughts to each other. It took 4.5 Billion years for that to happen here, the only planet known to harbour life and we have only been around for 200,000 years. Hell, we only learned to write within the last 10,000 years!

Now look at the scale of intelligence be tween us and the animals. If E.T is that much more intelligent as we are to the animals, why would they even bother to contact us? If they DO contact us, I fear it will be to deplete our planet of it's resources.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the universe is 14 billion years old and the milky way is 8 billion years old then why has intelligent life not yet made contact with us on Earth..

ah the Fermi paradox ...

The Drake equations are an interesting way of attacking the problem of life in the universe. There are many propositions for solving the paradox - I can accept nearly all of with the exception of the conspiracy theories...

Lets turn it on it's head for just a second:

Why haven't you or any of your direct ancestors visited another planet?

Which planet or star are you going to go to?

How would you plan to do it?

If you live for 70 years - and you spend ~20 growing up, that leaves 50yrs to do stuff .. compared to the life of the Milky way: 50/8,000,000,000 = 0.00000000625%

Whichever way you cut it, the numbers are against *you* (or me!) being around if and when we determine the existence of other complex life in the universe .

R

What an interesting thread, some good views and thoughts too. I thinks its still possible some form of extinct life may be found on mars on one of its ancient lake beds (in fossil form obviously).

Al

Any ET life that was/is able to visit us must be non hostile (providing it's life not self aware machines) as hostile lifeforms would not have been able to technologically advance due to their own conflict (the point we are at right now),

So hopefully any ET's will be lifeforms, as machines could seriously ruin our day,

Just a thought :)

It is fun to speculate but the main reason is 'time and distance'. If another advanced race did have the technology to travel the vast distances involved, it is fair to assume that their civilisation began a long time before ours did - to give them time to develop. If they did set out on a voyage of discovery - to seek out new worlds and new civilisation, to boldly go ... and all that, the chances of finding us 'in' are pretty slim given the relativley short time that there has been life on Earth. As for radio signals ... who the heck uses radio these days? An advanced race wouldn't use anything that we could detect with our primitive gear.

It's equally plausible that an intelligent race (out there) knows that introducing themselves at this stage could have a negative effect on our development.

Or they have been before and met ancient civilizations. Some old carvings in South America do look like space craft with control panels etc :) But they do :(

Or that no matter how advanced a race may be...interstellar travel is just not possible.

The great thing is...theories can go on and on.

Yes i watched a very in depth documentary on history channel all about "ancient aliens" it was very intresting, there has been so much information gathered on the subject that the programs was made of 4 episodes each was 2 hours long. I strongly reconmend anyone with an open mind to watch, if it runs again.

The chances of alien life existing is very high, but the chances of making contact is not. The universe is so vast that reaching earth could be an impossibility, so then the only other contact to make with us is radio transmition at the moment, which is very new to us humans. Once again how long would it take for us to reach the signal if it was delievered so many light years away?

the answer to the question is very simple. it's either aliens don't exist, or that the distance is just too vast apart. I know which one i believe.

I believe there was or is intelligent life out there! the universe is so huge in size it would be silly to disregard the statement! lets say there was, and they managed to travel the distance to contact us. which isnt daft in saying! these creatures could be playing from a different rule book. there life spans, chemical make up could be vastly different than ours! i know we think we know all the chemicals out there but do we? around us all we can see is carbon based life forms! but lets say the universe at the big bang was different colored grains of sand in your hand at the point of expansion you dashed the sand over a massive piece of paper, there would be some areas with say the color blue and some with not. well what im trying to say is with our rule book we have formed to say that space travel over large distances is problematic, due to our life spans, fuel etc etc. but maybe in the far reaches, places we cant even see. a life form because of their rules, it mite not find it that difficult.

just a thought.

:)

As for radio signals ... who the heck uses radio these days? An advanced race wouldn't use anything that we could detect with our primitive gear.

My mouse and keyboard are wireless. My cell phone is wireless. My TV is wireless from a satellite. NASA uses radio to talk to ISS and STS. The universe is teeming with radio noise and many people listen to it to understand it. I have a small cooker that uses radio waves.

Why only this morning I was talking to an australian chap on 14 MHz and another local on 144 MHz.

I gather many Japanese were coordinating help using "social networking sites", presumably from beneath the rubble using WiFi radio waves.

Not quite sure what's so primitive about it all.

As for aliens, maybe they just aren't there! Personally, I don't think they exist, but I accept they might well feel the same about me.

D

My theory is that cats are an alien race. They have been here for thousands of years, observing us. They are an evil race. I also think dogs are an alien race sent here to save us from the evil cat race.

I'm being serious by the way. Its what i really think.

My theory is that cats are an alien race. They have been here for thousands of years, observing us. They are an evil race. I also think dogs are an alien race sent here to save us from the evil cat race.

As I read that, I turned to my left and my kitten is sitting behind my shoulder looking straight at me. :)

I think we (life on this planet) ARE an alien race so we 'have contacted ourselves' - brought to earth in a comet as frozen space poo from another more advanced civilisation...

(Not my theory but one that works for me)

I think you could be on to something there,

post-24461-133877547536_thumb.jpg

I think you might be on to something there. Just look at the ancient Egyptions connections with cats.

Archived