greetings to all from Oxfordshire

hawker

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome, I think the kit you need depneds quite a bit on what what you want to do (i'm fairly new to this as well) have a look around here and post any questions and people on here are more than happy to help.

I also noticed that you can see a lot more with just a half decent set of binoculars, which I never thought of until it was pointed out by someone on here. Worth considering if you have some lying around as you can learn your way around the sky while you save/research.

Hi Hawker and welcome to SGL from another Oxfordshire newbie!

I'm in South Oxfordshire between Abingdon and Didcot. The Abingdon Astronomical Society has a meeting on March 14 - free to attend for first timers I think (I've only been to one meeting so far myself!)

I think it gets quite busy for the main meeting - it's a very active group - but they are all very friendly. If you come along do say hello (I'll be wearing a black Lotus Motorsport jacket).

In terms of 'scope purchase, much advice will depend on whether you want to observe or image. The trouble is, if you're anything like me, you won't know what you want to do until you've had a bit of time with a 'scope.

DSO imaging is the thing floating my boat at present, but I didn't realize that this would be the case when I bought my 'scope.

If you can wait, then come along to one of the clubs and try out some stuff on the observing nights. That said, plenty of people get excited and want to rush out and buy their kit. Nowt wrong with that, but it means you're learning with your own money and you are bound to spend on blind alleys / things you might not have bought if you'd known how your interest would develop...

Bear in mind too that good quality, well looked after kit does come up second hand. Again, stuff will come up via local clubs and that way you don't have to worry about posting delicate kit.

Good luck, and overall have fun!

Dear all

Thanks for all the kind welcomes and advice. I certainly will have alook at the abingdon club and also the chippy club. I live near blenhim so i hope not to be too blinded but light polution.

As for now i have spent quite a while looking at kit and whilst i was almost about to buy some SW kit all the prices went up! At the moment i am stuck in russia for the week with work so as soon as i get back to blighty i can look into it again...also some good second hand value to be had out there as well.

Hope your all having some clear skies...

Hi Hawker

Greetings from Witney, I also am a member of CNAAG (Chipping Norton Amateur Astronomy Group) and I must say they are a very friendly bunch of people and I'm sure you would be most welcome if you cared to come along, our next metting is this coming Monday (21st March).

Check the website for details

link below

Cnaag

Mel

Archived