Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Telescope - about damn time!

Hi all

I know you've all heard this a million times, but what the heck I could do with someone to help nudge me along!

I've wanted a telescope since I was small and now I feel it's finally time to give in and get one. Before I was always put off by the sheer number of options, but having done some research including posts here I'm thinking of the Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

Now I can find the odd planet or constellation by naked eye, but my knowledge is very much limited. Is £239 a good price for this model, how easy will I find it to get going and how long will it last me?

Any input is well received and any reccommendations about any extras I might want to consider purchasing as well would be great.

Thanks all :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a cracking price!

I've had mine for over a year and my seriousness of the hobby has picked up so I am looking to upgrade the mount but I will keep it since ithe EQ3-2 is very good for the scope's class.

You will want to upgrade the scope after a while but you really won't feel the need to if you understand what I mean.

It's a smashing starter scope with a good light grab - I started with a 150P and it lasted a good two years before I started wanting something bigger. You'll get very nice views of most stuff with it but you do need to know your way round the sky.

Download Stellarium - it's free and a great software tool for finding out what's up at your location. To learn the movements of the sky I took Sky at Night magazine every month. There's loads of info on what you should be looking at each month over the year.

You'll need a collimator to keep the mirrors configured optimally (read astrobaby's guide on that), and eventually one or two better quality eye pieces. But the supplied ones will get you going fine. Hope that helps :)

http://www.stellarium.org/

brantuk I found the article you referred to and at first glance it looks a tad complicated :) As a complete telescope beginner will collimation be absolutely necessary and on a brand new telescope or is it something I don't need to worry too much about for the first few months? What sort ot collimation kit would be best to purchase?

Also in terms of extras would it be worth purchasing a red LED, moon filter and light pollution filter? If yes to any of these are there a particular type or model or are they all of similar quality?

Any reccommendations on a good beginners book I could read for some basics?

Thanks rowan46 that video is brilliant, makes alot of sense and doesn't look quite so difficult as I'd imagined. Still need some help with the below and then I think I'm ready to order!

Will collimation be absolutely necessary right off the bat on a brand new telescope or is it something I don't need to worry too much about for the first few months and how often should I be looking at doing this? What sort ot collimation kit would be best to purchase?

Also in terms of extras would it be worth purchasing a red LED, moon filter and light pollution filter? If yes to any of these are there a particular type or model or are they all of similar quality?

It's hard to say whether collimation would be needed straight away - it depends how gentle the delivery process is and the state the scope was in when it started it's journey.

The simplest collimation tool is a collimation cap. Next step up is the Cheshire tube. Laser collimators are tempting but the lower cost ones can cause more trouble than they solve because they themselves may be out of collimation !

I'd hold back from other accessories, apart from perhaps a good guide to the night sky, until you have used the scope a few times.

Thanks for the advice avatar12764_10.gif jahmanson, I think you're probably right on holding back on accessories. I think I'm going to order the telescope, "Turn Left at Orion" and a cheshire tube.

I do have one final question. When ordering I need to select a mount. Either EQ3-2 (standard) or EQ3 PRO GOTO (which is vastly more expensive). I assume the GOTO is computerised and that the standard EQ3-2 still comes with the tripod? (http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=150eq32)

Thanks for the advice avatar12764_10.gif jahmanson, I think you're probably right on holding back on accessories. I think I'm going to order the telescope, "Turn Left at Orion" and a cheshire tube.

I do have one final question. When ordering I need to select a mount. Either EQ3-2 (standard) or EQ3 PRO GOTO (which is vastly more expensive). I assume the GOTO is computerised and that the standard EQ3-2 still comes with the tripod? (Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2)

Hi Stevey,

go with the plain-jane mount. You will have lots to learn with the scope and learning your way around the sky. The computerized mount requires a lot of extra knowledge and skill to get it working right. Once you have enough skill to use the basic mount - the GOTO is designed to take you to the next level, but it isn't good for a beginner to learn what he is about under the dark skies.

Add complexity only when you have achieved mastery!

Your mate who advised waiting on accessories until you knew what you were doing with the basic kit was telling you the same thing in a different way! Good advice! :)

Dan

The goto is computerised and needs more to set it up. The standard mount is fully manual.

I will say that I would suspect that you will want to consider a set of dual motors for the mount. They make it easy to view something. You do the polar alignment and the motors keep the object in view for longer. Viewing is a lot more pleasureable if the damn thing actually appears to remain in one place for a while.

Will differ from many and say that as the 150P is f/5 then you will need to consider collimating the scope at some stage. Being f/5, and therefore short, the scope requires that collimation be kept reasonably good.

I ordered last night and spoke to First Light Optics today who told me that my telescope will be arriving tomorrow. I wasn't expecting to receive it that quick! I can't wait to get going! I just hope I get some clear sky over the weekend!

Congrats on your choice of scope, We have this scope (albeit the DS version) and we love it :(. It does have a GOTO mount, as being newbies and my 9YO son being impatient I didn't fancy spending ages looking for an object. Glad to say we have had stunning views of Jupiter, Saturn and many DSO's...you won't be dissapointed :)

Good news my telescopes arrived! Bad news I probably wont have time to set it up until the weekend :-( Couple of questions - I'm not particularly great at putting things together. How long should I allow for assembly based on this? Should I be checking collimation straight away or can I afford to do some viewing and leave this for a bit?

Will collimation be absolutely necessary right off the bat on a brand new telescope or is it something I don't need to worry too much about for the first few months and how often should I be looking at doing this?

I bought the same scope last Sept and it was collimated out of the box. I have had it out maybe 7-8 times and touch wood, I have not needed to adjust it so far. I'm sure the day will come!

Lee.

Good news my telescopes arrived! I'm not particularly great at putting things together. How long should I allow for assembly based on this?

Read the instuctions carefully before you start on the assembly and then put everything to-gether in daylight and take your time. As an example I received my scope 5/6 weeks ago and the first time I put it to-gether (being very careful) it took about an hour. This included unpacking the bits and pieces from all the boxes.

After I had got everything to-gether I then aligned the finder scope in day light as well as I could. I started with the 25mm ep then the 10 mm and finally the 10mm + barlow.

It really isn't that hard once you have done it the first time.

Enjoy your new scope and don't forget to let us all know how you get on.

Clear skies and good viewing.

OK so I've set up my telescope. It's very large lol! I seem to have 2 pieces left over which is strange, but from looking at them they don't seem important. Perhaps they're used for the GOTO version? Anyway it seems to be secure & move properly so that's the most important.

I had a quick peek down the cheshire tube and it looks a tad off, but not enough for me to worry about right now.

I must admit I'm quickly feeling a little out of my depth. The coordinates thing on the mount looks complicated and I'm struggling with just general movement of the scope on the mount, although I guess this is something I will get better at the more I use it.

Will the mount operate fine on a slight grass slope? This is the optimal place for me to position the scope to see anything decent. I was thinking off just putting plastic bags around each foot of the mount so it doesn't get muddy.

In terms of eyepieces, is there set order in which I should work up from? For example being with the 10mm, then move up to 25mm, then use the barlow?

Finally seeing that I'm feeling a little overwhelmed what's something easy to start off with? I might have some time to view (weather pemitting) in South East England at around midnight.

Thanks guys

I can answer a few of these Q's:

Don't worry about the setting circles on the mount - most folks don't bother using those.

The scope should be level(ish) when you use it - use the adjustable tripod legs to get the mount top reasonably level.

Use the lowest power (25mm) eyepiece 1st. Apply more power (ie: 10mm ) if needed but don't worry about ultra high magnification - most objects look better at lower powers.

Practice moving the mount around it's axis and get the finder aligned with the scope in daylight - dark is not time to be finding your way around !.

If possible set up in daylight.

Your tripod legs are adjustable so should be able to level the mount, there is a level bubble on the mount. Just make sure it's stable, you don't want it falling over. The mount will have a 'N' at the top of one of the legs, this wants to be facing North.

When veiwing start with the 25mm EP, lowest magnification, then move to 10mm, 10mm + barlow.

Jahmanson, you must have been typing at the same time as me !

Hi,

Well done on getting everything to-gether.

What pieces are left over, can you post pics?

Rather than placing the tripod legs on plastic bags I would suggest blocks of wood to keep the mud off. Just make sure everything is stable.

I must admit that it does all seem confusing to start with but I'm sure you will soon crack it.

Let us know how it all goes.

Good luck.

Hi

Thanks for all the feedback. I've worked out what a couple of pieces are for and have attached photo's of 2 that I'm unsure of. One is identical to the mounting plate that the scope hinges are attached to that is then screwed into the mount.

The other looks protection related. In storage when no eye pieces are in the scope there is obviously an open hole. Perhaps is it used for protection here?

post-25196-133877544501_thumb.jpg

post-25196-133877544514_thumb.jpg

Archived