NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Telescope - about damn time!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stevey - sorry I lost track of this thread don't know why.

The top pic looks like the eyepiece holder or adaptor that goes on the focuser tube. If it's threaded at the bottom then it should screw on easilly to the hole between the focuser knobs.

The bottom one is a dovetail plate. The tube rings should attach to this and then this attaches to the saddle at the top of the mount. If you allready have one then it must be a spare - can't imagine why though.

A couple of pics of the assembled scope from different angles might help to identify if anythings missing or misplaced. Maybe a close up of any suspect areas too :(

I've been looking at buying this same scope as a starter.

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

It was £239 for a while at FLO then went to £295 on Friday and is now £285. Naturally, this sudden jump was enough to put me off an immediate purchase. I notice that it says at the top "Now supplied with 1.25/2-inch Crayford focuser!". Is this something that those of you who bought at £239 didn't get : Skywatcher - Dual-speed Crayford 1.25/2 inch focuser for Skywatcher Explorer

Is there an advantage to having one of these that justifies me paying the increased price?

Hi Snarks. Wow I must have ordered mine just before the price increase! I have the £239 version and it did not come with the crayford focuser. Not sure what sort of advantage having this would provide.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm feeling a little better now! brantuk should this "eyepiece holder or adaptor" be on my scope as when I aligned the finderscope outside the scope was working fine with a 10mm eyepiece? Or as palebluedot said is it a camera adaptor? The specs for the product do state "Direct SLR camera connection". I wonder if that's what it is?

Is it threaded Stevey? If it is then it will screw onto something. It has the two "ep holder screws" at the top - but I can't see if there's a thread at the bottom of it in the picture.

The 150P does come with a direct dslr connection - but my dslr direct connection is a thread on the focuser tube that takes a T-ring (no seperate connector). :o

Sorry to hijack, but I am also interested in this things purpose.

It looks like its threaded, but I don't think it is, the diameter is bigger than that of my t-ring and there is no obvious place for it to screw onto if it was threaded. It does however fit perfectly into the 2" part of the focuser, so I assumed it was an extension tube for getting focus with an attached SLR as I was told that I might not be able to get focus without one.

Is it possible to get a t-ring that is not threaded for slotting into this kind of tube?

I've attached 3 more pictures. One is without the protective cap & the other is from the opposite side where it is threaded. I guess what I need to know is should this be attached to my scope or do I not need to worry about it?

I have looked over the scope & there's no where obvious where it would go. In the third picture (the focuser & eyepiece) I have tried unscrewing but the object does not fit as the thread is on the inside so can't screw on as oposed to the outside and dosn't fit the other way round either.

Tis a mystery!

post-25196-133877544909_thumb.jpg

post-25196-133877544921_thumb.jpg

post-25196-133877544928_thumb.jpg

I've attached 3 more pictures. One is without the protective cap & the other is from the opposite side where it is threaded. I guess what I need to know is should this be attached to my scope or do I not need to worry about it?

I have not needed it yet Stevey.

I have looked over the scope & there's no where obvious where it would go. In the third picture (the focuser & eyepiece) I have tried unscrewing but the object does not fit as the thread is on the inside so can't screw on as oposed to the outside and dosn't fit the other way round either.

Tis a mystery!

If you unscrew the first set of thumb screws on the wider part of the focuser, the 1.25" adapter pulls out and you can slot the mistery item in there and tighten it up.

That is not a thread inside, those rings are concentric. The question is, what goes inside the adapter or whatever it is?

It's an adapter for 2 inch eyepieces. All the skywatcher scopes come with a 1.25 inch EP adapter - thats the one fitted to the focuser in your picture - and a 2 inch version. It's only needed if you start spending ££££s on a large widefield eyepiece. Put it somewhere safe for now - the big glass bug might bite later!

Thanks for all the help guys. I hate having pieces left over that I don't know about! I couldn't get it to fit to the focuser, but was only a quick check. I'll tuck it away somewhere for now.

I hope I can get some clear sky tonight. Yesterday was a write off. Just itching to kick off! :-D

Wow so I've just had a good look at the moon for the first time and what a magnificent sight! Completely breathtaking. I was especially pleased that my finder scope was perfectly aligned :-) I was hoping to try & find the orion nebula as well, but unfortunately the moon was just above orion and its brightness was preventing me from seeing orion clearly, but something too look forward to another time. I just need a nice clear Friday night when I don't have work the next morning!

Now I must admit I have a slightly embarrassing problem and I apologise in advance for possibly being a complete idiot, but I couldn't get the barlow to work. The thinner end won't fit in the focuser (marginally to wide). Part of the bottom does screw off and then fit, but that contains the lens. What am I doing wrong?

Hi guys sorry for this contant posting. Barlow issue is sorted, it was an extremely tight fitting and very well hidden dust cap! I'm already looking forward to the next clear night when I can actually try it out. Thanks for all your help with my myriad of questions. I hope in future to post my experiences and perhaps help out people who had similar problems as mine! :-)

Would anyone have an answer to my question about the Crayford focuser that I asked earlier in this thread : http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/133346-first-telescope-about-damn-time-2.html#post173I5739

Is there any advantage to having this?

No, that came about a couple of years ago.

(Might be worth doing a wee search for cheaper deals, Rother Valley optics and Altair haven't put their already stocked prices up :o )

Archived