SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What Has Happened to the Clouds?

G2EWS

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear someone cursed it. Clear skies here up until 15mins ago, now wall to wall cloud. :)

And the BBC/Metoffice who not 2 hours ago were forecasting 3 days of clear skies have changed it to just tomorrow night and reduced the good seeing down to poor. So still no foreseeable chance of getting the scope out.

they're here again. I am getting so tired of this. the sky was clear put my scope out to clear and its clouded over. seriously thinking of flogging the gear at sgl6. there hasn't been a clear night here since jan 4th

And the BBC/Metoffice who not 2 hours ago were forecasting 3 days of clear skies have changed it to just tomorrow night and reduced the good seeing down to poor. So still no foreseeable chance of getting the scope out.

I expect someone who works there nipped out for a smoke and happend to look up!

Sorry Billy!

Actually it is still amazingly clear here. Had a fantastic viewing on the balcony with the binoculars before Brian Cox. Watched Wonders of the Univers 15 minutes late and now going to bed but havinig a quick look before doing so.

What is the cloudy cluster just below orion? Showed it to Eleanor but admitted I did not know what it was. Will have a look on the ipad when in bed later.

Sadly I have to be up at 05:00 in the morning so no late night for me. Off to 'Focus on Imaging' with a load of mates at the NEC. THE exhibition for photography.

Hope those out and about and still with clear skies are enjoying it.

Best regards

Chris

End of the daytime here and it cleared, evening came and it clouded. Checked regularly until the end of sky at night - cloudy. Just woke up and bobed my head around the curtains... clear as a bell but deep frost! Arghh.

Hi all,

Hopefully a lot of you got the same chance I did. Was awesome looking through the binos off my balcony.

That was after watching Armageddon because Claire and Eleanor really wanted to see it.

Still so much I cannot name, but found the cluster I was looking at was indeed Orion Nebula.

Had a fun 30 minutes before heading off to bed.

Regards

Chris

I got a few hours in last night and a good nights viewing in on Friday. Last night was split by W o t U, and then in again for S@N700, then back out to cloud. I am sure the cloud would have gone by 2am but I was sleepy anyway and an hour and half is too long to wait when you feel like that.

There is always tonight of course.

No surprises that when I awoke this morning it was back cloudy... and frosty.

I'd quite like a sunny spell during the day to view all the sunspots that are currently on view (see spaceweather!).

Ah - the joys of high pressure! Last night I was actually able to drive out to my dark sky site WITH CONFIDENCE, knowing that I was in for a clear evening.

Had a cracking night going for as many Messier objects as I could. I get incredibly frustrated with our weather, sometimes I find myself thinking terrible thoughts such as 'what is the point in me having a telescope', but those thoughts are banished for a good while after the kind of night I just enjoyed. :)

I managed around 7.5 hours imaging last night.:p

54 @ 5 min's Luminance on NGC2403 up until around 1:30am.

Went out to pack up but could not bring myself to close the obs on clear skies.

So I set an hours red running and dozed on the sofa until 2:40am, next a green run and back to the sofa until 3:45am.

Ended with a blue run until 4:50am while I went back to the sofa.

I set my mobile alarm for each filter change but found it hard to get back to sleep each time.

Paid the price at 7am when I had to get up.:)

Forcast is for more clear skies tonight. :)(I think)

*Edit* I just ran through the L subs and lost 7 to passing cloud.

Mike.

Clear with moderate to poor visibility another dank evening on the cards again... whilst I have been out twice in the last 3 nights the skies havent been brilliant for imaging... should be good enough to try and get the SCT and the other 2 OTA's sorted though so I'll probably have a look at that tonight... and maybe the collimation on the SCT as well...

Billy....

I admire that resolve yfronto

I managed to stay awake until 1:30 when i had 4 hours worth of data I packed up... still 4 out of 5 of the last night have been clear here, not bad... and looks clear tonight as well... and I dont have to be up for anything tomorrow :)

@Russ Yes it clouded last night for about 2 hours, but cleared to leave a very nice crisp good seeing night in the end

Archived