Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ mount stupid question time ###

Had the scope out last night and between the clouds was trying to get a good look at Orion in the SW sky.

I've got the scope now set up on the polar axis at 51 degrees correct for my latitude so swing the scope through the RA and DEC plains. Could I get a full rotation? Each time I moved the scope one of the controls hit the mount of tripod. I ended up with the counter weights almost parallel to the ground and the eye piece facing the floor! :)

So I undid the mounting of the scope to rotate that so I could use the eye piece from a standing position.

Is this normal? I did feel like throwing the whole thing over next doors fence and saying '&^^%&^^(*(*&£%%$"£$^&^*&*(*& it.'

Yes you have to release and rotate the tube as the eyepieces will get in that position at times (sometimes its the opposite with the eyepiece pointing vertical) However the scope shouldn't hit the mount, unless you mean the flexi extension controls found on some scopes ?

You also need to make sure you have the polar axis pointing north.

It's quite possible you'll end up with the counterweight bar parallel with the ground and the eyepiece pointing downwards though, and the appropriate solution *is* to let some tension off the rings and rotate the tube in the rings.

It may be helpful to practice pointing the scope in different directions during the day to get the hang of moving it around. It's not the most intuitive arrangement.

James

I have not Polar aligned mine yet as can't get the altitude above 38 for some reason.

My garden faces SE so I just aligned the finder scope and plonked the tripod down with the North facing forward and tried to find a few things.

I had to rotate the scope a few times as the eye piece was pointing to the sky - annoying but didn't take long to do.

I posted something similar the other day and everyone said this is quite normal of an EQ Mount.

Hi stardad,

I had a similar problem, it is possible to make it work smoothly. Where you ended up with the eyepiece pointing to the ground it sounds like the scope should have been on the other side of the mount from where you had it?

When I worked out what I was doing wrong I spent some time in the daylight swivelling the scope about on the mount indoors and finding the right way to adjust it so the eyepiece was in a usable position. Just play about with it, and honestly, it becomes really simple once you get the hang of it. Believe me, I only worked it out yesterday! Once it 'clicks' with you it will become very easy.

I'm no expert but I really would recommend playing with it in the daylight to learn which way and which axis to rotate to point at your desired target without getting tangled up.

Don't give up!

Dave.

Cheers malc-c.

I had both the flexi-controls both RA and DEC clutches hit the RA and DEC dials and the RA motor at one point.:) I even wondered about taking the scope out and turning it around as in the best direction the scope was backwards. :p:eek:

Its the first night that I've tried without moving the Polar axis mount. Very frustrating I must admit. I'm so glad the children had gone to bed as I gave up trying in defeat.

As others have said, the polar axis should be as close to, if not spot on pointing at the NCP (north celestial pole). To best describe positions, assume you are looking at the scope from behind facing north. When looking at Orion my scope rotated the RA anti-clockwise until the CW bar was almost at the 9 oclock position, with the tube turned facing Orion my eyepiece also pointed towards the ground. Slacken off the rings and rotated the tube so viewing is more comfortable.

Hope that helps

I don't know what the arrangement is on your scope, but you may be able to swap one of the flexi controls to the other side if it's getting in the way. Or, if it's the RA control that's the problem, just take it off and use the motor instead.

James

Don't give up. An EQ mount seems clunky at first but it becomes intuitive very quickly. It probably won't go a full rotation in any direction without the controls bashing into eachother at some point. Best thing is not to think about it too hard. Just unlock the RA and Dec clutches, grab the back of the telescope tube and push it towards the direction you want to look. It will naturally move around its axes to accommodate where you want to go. Harder to explain in words than it really is.

The only way you will look South is to have the counterweight bar more or less horizontal, with the scope pointing the opposite way to your polar axis. In other words, you need to move the RA axis about 90 degrees, and the Dec axis about 180 degrees. The eyepiece will point in different directions (true for any scope) so you just have to adjust for it.

Keep at it. Good advice to try it in daytime too.

Rachel

Thanks for all the advice people. At least I'm not doing it wrong.

The major issue seems to be the clutch's hitting the mount not the manual controls. At one point I couldn't get my hand in to tighten one as it was touching the mount.

Just seems as if something is set up wrong. I've checked and double checked but no, its as it should be. Maybe I need to get a GOTO mount and get rid of the CG-3 mount.

I have not Polar aligned mine yet as can't get the altitude above 38 for some reason.

Hey Scotty, I had the same problem with an EQ2 mount. Check out the altitude t bar, mine was cross threaded and impossible to move above 40 degrees, easy to re-bore or just send back for replacement

Hi!

This thread of great interest to me as I am about to purchase a SW Skymax 127 on a EQ3/2 mount and after downloading the instructions in order to prepare myself I came across the diagram of a scope (actually not a Skymax) in use viewing the southern skies.

The finderscope did appear to be in a rather awkward position !!- I can understand turning a scope in its tube holders to reorientate the finderscope but I can't see how this works with the Skymax.

As much of my viewing will be in the southern skies I was wondering if any Skymax owners have any tips??

Many thanks Robin

This is the one aggravation with GERMAN type EQ mounts. It pays to plan ahead with your observing to make sure that the scope is on the best side of the RA axis. Don't despair, as others have said, it soon becomes second nature. :).

With my skymax, the RDF is often in an awful position. There's no real way to deal with it, just live with it. Set up where you'll be able to kneel down to use it, or have a mat if you are in a damp area.

EQ mounts, as has been said, have their limitaions. If you can't get to the object you want, due to potential collisions, you'll have to either look at something else or wait until it is viewable. You aught to be able to get 100 degrees of movement from one though, which, I should imagine, would cope with most peoples 'skies'.

My set goes something like this:

Latitude set to suit. Align polar axis to North, with scope tube also aimed North (at the top).

Rotate the RA to the east, rotate DEC to the south (over the top), so that the scope tube is on the eastern side of the mount (counter weight bar to the west).

In this position, it is then easy to follow a target as it rises, culminates and starts to set.

Also, it is easy to swing over to find a target that is already to the west.

If I set up with the scope tube to the west side of the mount, I can still follow targets as they ris, but I find that collisions occur if I follow/search to far west.

Having a BIG sky, I find that this offers me the best access to what is on offer...

If I want to view to the North, or towards the Zenith, which frankly isn't that often, I'll have to move the scope tube up in the rings to clear the tripod, use a Dob or the TAL-1 on its pedestal.

Do you have pictures? I have never had a problem like yours unless I am turning my scope almost back on itself :)

Celeste, For pictures please see the instruction manual for the Skymax 127 on the Skywatcher website - page 18.

TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

reference:- ALL MODELS WITH EQ3-2 AND EQ5(EQ4) MOUNT (2.04MB)

The majority of my home use would be in Southern skies - with the polar alignment having been done in the Northern skies - hence the scope is practically turned back on itself!!

With my skymax, the RDF is often in an awful position. There's no real way to deal with it, just live with it. Set up where you'll be able to kneel down to use it, or have a mat if you are in a damp area.

EQ mounts, as has been said, have their limitaions. If you can't get to the object you want, due to potential collisions, you'll have to either look at something else or wait until it is viewable. You aught to be able to get 100 degrees of movement from one though, which, I should imagine, would cope with most peoples 'skies'.

My set goes something like this:

Latitude set to suit. Align polar axis to North, with scope tube also aimed North (at the top).

Rotate the RA to the east, rotate DEC to the south (over the top), so that the scope tube is on the eastern side of the mount (counter weight bar to the west).

In this position, it is then easy to follow a target as it rises, culminates and starts to set.

Also, it is easy to swing over to find a target that is already to the west.

If I set up with the scope tube to the west side of the mount, I can still follow targets as they ris, but I find that collisions occur if I follow/search to far west.

Having a BIG sky, I find that this offers me the best access to what is on offer...

If I want to view to the North, or towards the Zenith, which frankly isn't that often, I'll have to move the scope tube up in the rings to clear the tripod, use a Dob or the TAL-1 on its pedestal.

Many thanks for the info. which has been printed out for future use!

Archived