Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

newbes socond post and a bit embarresing

nick w

hello again last night i was lucky enough to have my new 150 p set up and the conditions were near perfect to start skywatching now for the emberassing bit as it has no instructions so I pointed it at the brightest star i could find alinged it perfectly in the view finder the excitedly peered through the scope nowt humm tried focusing still nothing (had a super 10mm and the 2 x barlow in) tried all different combinations of eyepeice still nothing .Then tried x cel 8mm on its own and bingo well sort of a large orange image appered from this i guessing i may have been looking at jupiter:icon_eek: i was looking pretty much exactly south east however the image was almost totaly obscured by the framework at the end of the telescope .My main aim is viewing stars and when visable the moon so can anyone please give me tips on eyepeice combinations and any other advice which would help me achive my goals many thanks please dont laugh an my amateurness cheers disapointed newbee:icon_confused:

I see the lack of mention that previous to all this you took the scope outside. Pointed the main scope at some distant object and centered it. Then adjusted the finder until both finder and main scope where centered on the same distant object.

As in Have you aligned the finder scope with the main scope?

Otherwise they are pointing in different directions.

You were probably supplied with two eyepieces with your scope plus a Barlow lens, which will double the power of each eyepiece.

Start to focus and observe with the eyepiece that has the highest number on it. Probably 25mm. Do not put the Barlow into the focuser.

Learn to focus up with the eyepiece alone in daylight on a distant object such as a distan Pylon or TV mast or even a chimney pot.

Use the 25mm Eyepiece, and when you have the object in view and sharp, leave the focuser in the same position, then at night, try finding a bright star, you should be able to see it, although it will be out of focus. Slowly turn the focuser knob to take the focuser towards the scope body and the star will sharpen up to a point.

Take out the 25mm, and insert the 10mm. slowly turn the focuser again towards the scope until the star is sharp.

Unless you are trying to observe a double star, there is no need to use the Barlow lens, which is useful mainly on the moon and planets to magnify detail more.

Ron.

Firts off use the scope in daylight and find something to look at in the main scope (distant radio mast, steeple) etc DONT LOoK AT THE SUN, once you have the distant object in the main scope line the dinder up with it.

My bet is your finde wasn aligned to the main scope for a start.

If you can see the framework in the d of the sope then yo werent focused right. Stars will appear as tiny points of light. Jupiter will be about the size of a pea. If things are looking bigger than that then the scope is defocused massively and you will see the framework yo talk about.

Get some practive in in daylight usimg the sope and gettng familiar with it, tha way you wont be disappointed at night.

Duering daylight check you can focus on dystant objects, that will a least let you know the scope can reach focus ok.

Hi Nick W, I have had the same scope as you for maybe a 8weeks and due to the cloud just getting used to it, so ask away, no question is too emabarassing or daft!

Barkis is right in that your finder scope maynot be aligned with the main scope, try it during the day on a 500m+ object or align on Polaris with main scope then adjust the finder so it is centred.

I found the finder scope was very lose fitting in its mount so it tended to move off centre alot & wasn't aligned to the scope every time I took it outside! I cured it by wrapping a bit of masking tape around the middle where it goes into the mount but leave the area around the adjusters free of tape - just a tip.

As far as eyepieces are concerned, have you looked at the sticky under beginner tutorials? It details all you need to know about them.

Anyway, with your f5 scope and a std 25mm ep you will get x30 magnification, and the 10mm will give x75. the barlow will double these.

I'd suggest use these 2 until without barlow until you've sussed the scope out, then try the barlow (certainly try it on the moon!, its bright btw!). Then think about additional ep's.

I have baader hyperion 24mm and 8mm that came with the scope & they're fantastic, and give similar mag to the 2 standard items. I do tend to use them without a barlow too, but currently planning on a decent barlow not too far off.

Chris

Hi and welcome

Would agree with all the above and certainly "start" with the less powerful EP as the more powerful ones have a less wide field of view and a slight mis alignment will mean the star may just be out of view - and also, adjust the focus slowly, as it is very easy the focus "straight through" the object your looking for.

Keep going and enjoy

Hi Nick and welcome to SGL :)

Once the finder and ota are aligned you will have no trouble finding stuff. Do it in daytime as suggested above. I used to have a 150P and it's a very nice scope to start with once you get used to handling it :(

hello again spent ages this aternoon lining it up and i am pleased to say i now have it spot on needed a bit of insulation tape to keep it really nice and secure and the skys are pretty clear here so lets hope for some sucess tonight thanks again guys and girls love this site

Archived