Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A proper Obsy!

yeti monster

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice setup, like the LXD75 on the pier, where did you get the top bit to mount the mount on

The pier adapter is a 2" ANSI pipe flange, which managed to find it's way home...

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/145203-steel-pier-adapter.html

Perfect for the job, the North peg is a 3/8" bolt, the head ground to shape and a couple of dods of weld to made the mount sit level.

• 2 weeks later...

This obsy was on ebay for quite a while wasnt it, I showed it to my wife who instantly said "No" ( kill joy ). Going to attempt to build my own wether she likes it or not.

Glad to see it's got a good home now though.

I don't think I'll be painting the inside, it's nice and dark in there, even in daylight and the grey interior doesn't appear to have any adverse effects to dark adaption. The lamp needs changing for a very low wattage red, the current one is a low energy folded tube, hastily sprayed vermillion (that's the best option I had in the BIG shed at the time).

I'm longing to get home and start capturing some decent Jupiter AVIs and delving my head into the 28mm UWA again....

• 3 weeks later...

An hour on Jupiter last Thursday night showed my polar alignment was a little out still but I didn't get a good view of Polaris to make any adjustment.

Last night I wanted to hunt down Comet Garradd. A quick Polar realignment seems to have things running truer, although I only got to use the 28mm UWAn.

Heavens Above pointed me to just West of Sagittus and a faint fuzzy blob. As I went to change down to the 16mm the clouds rollled in. A hour later the clouds remained so I started packing away the laptop etc.

Last chance for the clouds to clear, then switch off the mount.

After I'd reeled in the extension the stars started to show once again but I wasn't falling for that old trick.....

^^^ It is, it's great to be able to pull down the shutter and leave it whirring away for awhile in the hope that the clouds will scoot and not worry too much about the 'oiks' lifting things.

I hope to swot up on drift aligning today, but I also have to fire up the chainsaw, winter's coming....

I was able to have a go at drift aligning, although I soon discovered that I was a wee bit off the mark with my North peg. Not wishing to tear the mount down straight away, I've been able to do a bit of observing on Jupiter, but the weather has been terrible.

So, after some trouble shooting on the mount, which has been stalling out, I have added weights to correct the balance, substituted jumper/power packs and purchased a Maplins 3A, variable voltage, bench power supply unit, which is ideal for the observatory as well as it ruling out poor battery condition as the cause of the mount stalling.

With no chance of decent weather, I have stripped the scope and built up one side of my North peg to give me, hopefully, that little extra West adjustment that I need. Also I have adjusted the RA drive so that the tightest point is easy on the gearing. This has given me a fair amount of backlash but the mount no longer stalls out. Hopefully this backlash will not prove too much of a problem.

To keep the weather out, I have gone around the underside of the base with that 'spandyfoamfiller' stuff, after last night and this moroning, I think I'll know how good an idea that was...

Whilst nothing spectacular, this image of Luna is a landmark. The first image from the OLLR Observatory here at Castle Yeti:

MoonII-1000.jpg

I'm still doing shake downs, last night highlighting focuser issues to be dealt with.

Today I've done a hasty run around the base with bathroom sealant, as everything was dry and there be a storm a brewin'. I've lashed down the dome, using breeze blocks as anchors. Fingers crossed it is dry in there after the storm.

It's a canon angle finder A, which gives a reversed image. Remove the canon viewfinder adapter and it will thread into the LXD polarscope, I've no idea about how well it would fit any other make of polarscope though.

The Meade polar scope has a reversed image, so the final image is corrected, making adjustment a more intuitive movement.

Were we to have the weather, yes they would be. As it is I've not even had chance to polar align properly yet...

FLO sent me some clear skies vouchers, they don't seem to be working for me so i'll let you have e'm :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived