Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A proper Obsy!

yeti monster

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
travelling asphalt engineers !!!! lmao, what a quaint expression! still chuckling

have you got it home yet, looks great

PC! :)

Not got it home yet, I have to get home first, that'll be Wednesday moroning, then jet-lag, kiss the dog, pat the kids, repair the wife and take the fences to school...

If you need a lift with it Yeti, I'm just up the road. :(.

Cheers Peter, I hope to be able to manage things, but will certainly take you up on your offer, should the need arise.

Latest:

Air Smirnoff dumped me in a soggy heap yesterday. Had a few jet lag induced 'snoozes' since arrival at Castle Yeti, then started figuring things out.

I have to do a rescue mission to recover my Land Rover from Glossop, where my pal has become flummoxed by the foibles of the ancient order of leaf sprung Land Rovers.

Dependant upon the success of tomorrows mission, the Obsy-Dobsy is next on the list...

• 2 weeks later...

This moroning I was able to perform the first shakedown tests for the Observatory, here at Castle Yeti.

After my cycle ride yesterday, I took the Land Rover up to ye ancient rubble pile and loaded up with plenty of broken paving flags, ferried them down and did a quick 'crazy-pave' on which to stand the observatory.

After positioning the telescope mount, I found that it was far too low, so 3 breeze blocks stepped things up sufficiently.

After a snooze, I awoke around 03:30 this morning, and started setting up the power etc. As the sky was quite hazy, I took the time to just look at it and take a few photos.

Interior view:

Shackdown-01-1.jpg

Exterior View:

Shackdown-03-1.jpg

I now need to start planning the 'patio' required for a permanent set up.

:D

What a lovely view of the cycloptic beastie! I'm still toying with the idea of "dome" v "RO-RO" depends what the missus will let me get away with?

Now you have it matey potatey, when are you installing all the motors for the dome? don't tell me it hasn't even crossed your mind a teensy weensy bit.....:D:p

Matt

Looks tremendous, Mate!

You will enjoy the proper patio when you get it installed. I did the patio thing out front and set a mosaic compass rose in to help telescope set up. I had the patio poured, then spent about a week with green lasers and string to get 'True North' lined up on the concrete. When the tile guy came in to do everything, I had a heck of a time getting him to align the 50" mosaic up as I said instead of lining it up 'with the lines in the tile'. :D

It all worked out well.... yours will, too!

Dan

post-24566-133877552881_thumb.jpg

Looks tremendous, Mate!

You will enjoy the proper patio when you get it installed. I did the patio thing out front and set a mosaic compass rose in to help telescope set up. I had the patio poured, then spent about a week with green lasers and string to get 'True North' lined up on the concrete. When the tile guy came in to do everything, I had a heck of a time getting him to align the 50" mosaic up as I said instead of lining it up 'with the lines in the tile'. :D

It all worked out well.... yours will, too!

Dan

lovely patio dan

mr yeti, so glad to see ye olde dome thingy taking such good shape. If i am to have a dome or ro ro i need to move house, but me and my gal are looking at getting under one roof and that might lead to consolidating to a more rural location

• 3 months later...

Here is the news, I have been busy this week....

OLLR Observatory update:

With the recent good weather, and in between repairing things wot are broke, I've been building a pier for the 10" SNT mount and a platform for the observatory:

Monday afternoon:

Breakingground.jpg

Tuesday afternoon, once materials had arrived:

IMG_8612.jpg

IMG_8607.jpg

IMG_8635.jpg

IMG_8638.jpg

Wednesday:

Concrete curing day...

Thursday:

IMG_8641.jpg

Very soon, the OLLR observatory will be moved onto the 'patio' and be able to welcome visitors without fear of them kicking the tripod, as there won't be one!

:)

It's always nice to see a project come together.

Having the scope mounted on a pier makes a big difference to the amount of space in the obs - no legs to trip over.

Archived