NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope with bad back?

OK I've decided to take the plunge for my first scope, I've done as much research as I can without hands on.

But my issue before I choose which scope has got to take into account I have a spinal issue where if I'm bent over bla, bla, bla.

So which scope will keep me upright the most (Refractor, Reflector, Dob)?

Regards Pak...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So which scope will keep me upright the most (Refractor, Reflector, Dob)?

Using it is probably going to be less of a pain than carrying it. But SCTs give the best combination of aperture & low weight, and the viewing position is relatively comfortable - the eyepiece height doesn't change much with the altitude of the object and you can be comfortably seated.

Hi Pak, definately agree with comments already given, for portability, lightness, quick set up, nice optics, easy seating position sct's or Mak's are great, I have used the Celestron Nextstar 6se and found it a great scope, I can only summise the 4 or 5 Nexstars would be just as good and as they are smaller would be even better to handle. :o

Hope that helps :)

Funny I didn't even consider a SCT or Mak, Doh!

Carrying the weight isn't a problem for me, It's just the bending that is the issue.

But thank you, your replies are very helpfull and certainly gives me food for thought.

Regards Pak...

Excellent advice above - I can only add that aligning with the straight through finder can be stressfull for a back condition. A right angled finder would be well worth considering. I changed all my finders to raf's for similar reasons. :)

Excellent thank you all for the advice,

I'm also thinking now that storage will be made much easier with the smaller size of a SCT/Mak.

I'm so glad I thought about this before buying, the last thing I want is to have to cut my viewing short due to pain.

Regards Pak...

Hi Pak,

I have two discs embedded in my spinal cord and the danger for me is letting my lower back get cold.

So in preparation I have bought a Blazewear back heater with uprated batteries. Unable to link as on iPad which always gives problems, but you can google.

Best regards

Chris

Word from a friend in Sydney who has family in Christchurch is that the damage is severe. Hospital had to be evacuated. Need has overrun available ambulances and private vehicles are being pressed into service.

New Zealand has been hit time and again since at least last September.

Word from a friend in Sydney who has family in Christchurch is that the damage is severe. Hospital had to be evacuated. Need has overrun available ambulances and private vehicles are being pressed into service.

New Zealand has been hit time and again since at least last September.

Sorry! I obviously got this posted in the wrong thread. -b

So experienced scopers!

Which of these would be better:

Folding All purpose ironing perching stool chair on eBay (end time 13-Mar-11 16:33:09 GMT)

Leifheit Ironing Stool in White: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

The eBay one looks more comfortable but does not have the full amount of adjustment, but does that matter?

Compared to some I have seen it has the horizontal bars for feet so is not likely to disappear below ground!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Chris

So experienced scopers!

Which of these would be better:

Folding All purpose ironing perching stool chair on eBay (end time 13-Mar-11 16:33:09 GMT)

Leifheit Ironing Stool in White: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

The eBay one looks more comfortable but does not have the full amount of adjustment, but does that matter?

Compared to some I have seen it has the horizontal bars for feet so is not likely to disappear below ground!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Any experienced folks know the answer?

Regards

Chris

Archived