NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope with bad back?

Hi Chris,

Personally I'd go for the one with the largest range of adjustment possible. Scopes can get into all sorts of positions on an equatorial mount and you may well end up owning other scopes of other dimensions in the future.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My back's been problematic since birth (congenital condition, compounded later by a broken vertebrae). I bought two pneumatic mechanic's stools, a shorter one and a taller one. No matter if i'm using the fork-mounted SCT, the GEM mounted refractor, or the 16" LightBridge, i always have a perfectly comfortable seat height. :)

Well I've gone for the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak,

should be ok for a first scope,

Once again Thanks.

Regards Pak...

You may find using the finderscope awkward on that model. Solution would be to use a finderscope with a diagonal or fit a telrad or rigel finder.

If the SPOG meeting on the 4th goes ahead I will bring the stool along with me :)

Jon

Sorry to go off topic

I guess SPOG doesn't mean Swiss Pediatric Oncology Group (I googled :o )

Is it a Wiltshire based group?

Back on topic I can't see me finding room in my modestly sized motorhome for one of those two ironing stools are there any other back saving options?

I have no experience of SCTs etc but the comments so far from experienced people seem spot on. if you went for a dob (other than the table top ones) you'd need a bigger one (like a 10" or 12") which would be heavy as the smaller ones are a little low to the ground.

on the seat front, I completely agree. it makes viewing so much more comfortable and I see it as an essential accessory. I suffer from backache rather than anything serious but it stops this for sure.

if you have basic DIY skills and can use a hand saw a drill and a screwdriver than you can make an excellent chair for about £20 which will be more flexible and stronger than the suggested ones.

I made one out of scraps in the shed for nothing http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/97962-observing-chair.html but there's some works of art here http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/106497-another-observing-chair.html if you have more advanced skills. this last thread has encouraged me to make more of an effort with a new design for mine.

Hi Moonshine,

Very good. I had seen the other thread as well, some great works of art there.

The cost of materials is only a small part of the building costs. Time would mean it far cheaper to buy a finished product for me.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Carol,

Thanks for that. I guess you don't take the stools away with you?

Sounds a perfect solution though.

Best regards.

Chris

Hi Chris, you're welcome. Thankfully, i live on 40 acres in the country and don't need to travel anywhere.. the stools are stored in the shed with the scope.

Hi Carol,

Sounds idealic, but don't remind me of 40 acres! In 2000 I tried to persuade Claire to look at a very large house with a lot of acres. Some years later a very well known pop star bought it off the people who bought it instead of us. The difference between buy and sell was about £7 million!!!!!

Could have had a very biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig observatory on that!

Best regards

Chris

I have a lumbar problem, following a motorcycle accident in 2001, and I'm just about to have a coccygectomy next Friday, after another motorcycle incident in 2009 (I'm beginning to notice a pattern here).

Anyway, I use a simple folding camping stool when I'm using my dob, and it's turned out to be comfortable for both back problems I have, whilst allowing easy sight access to the EP.

Cheap too :rolleyes:

Hi Twotter,

That sounds an interesting alternative.

Do you have a link to your one or a photo?

Best regards

Chris

Mine is just a cheap stool from a camping shop. Here's one that looks similar and the price is about what I would expect to have paid for it...

Gelert Folding Stool from Surplus and Outdoors / Camping Furniture

Archived