Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first attempts at astrophotorgarhy

bm1980

Hi all i have just joined the group yesterday. I have recently purchased a celestro nexstar 127 slt, these are my first attempts at imageing some easier targets . All were taken through the eyepiece with a canon powershot 720is point and shoot camera.

The moon, jupiter and saturn.

Thanks would apreciate your opinions on my very poor first attemps

I have been looking ino buying the neximage camera to get some better images, is there any good alternatives for similar price?

Reagards Ben

post-24720-133877533693_thumb.jpg

post-24720-133877533701_thumb.jpg

post-24720-13387753371_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again for all your comments and words of encouragment, hopefully these comments will inspire me to capture some images like the ones i that many of you have posted on here (obviously with better equipment). I have been thinking of getting the neximage or is there better ccd cameras for similer money?

Great start to imaging Ben. For an alternative to the Neximage camera (which is expensive for a webcam) a very popular choice is the SPC880 from Morgans website. You'll need an adaptor to go with it and possibly a uv/ir filter

You'll also need to flash it up to an SPC900 which you can do yourself or Morgans will do it for a couple of quid before shipping.

Once flashed and drivers installed all you need is some software to use it. There are several but I use wxAstrocapture (free). The adaptor, filter, and camera are on same page:

Cheap Philips SPC880 webcam - 49269 - discounts & offers

wxAstroCapture - Windows and linuX Astronomy Capture

Edit: This page will also help: http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/113699-philips-spc880nc-now.html

All for around £25-£30 :glasses1:

You're welcome Ben - it's got the same chip as the Neximage and is recognised as a Toucam Pro if I remember right. At that price it's well worth a punt - the chaps here were buying 2 or 3 at a time when they first came out.

Have fun :glasses1:

flashed spc880 has landed, i have just fitted the adapter and ir filter, just waiting for some clear skies hopefully tonight. I am going to be using wx Astrocapture does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on this software? or could explain what would be the best capture settings for my setup? :rolleyes:

Hi i thought i would share my 2nd atempt at astrophotography. Its a stacked image of jupiter captured with my new flashed spc 900 and my nexstar 127 slt. I am thinking of purchasing a barlow lense, does any one know of a decent one around the £50 mark? and how much would this inhance the final image quality and size? Thanks again i would apreciate your comments. I know its know were near as good as what i have seen on the forum but i am pleased with it as my firt attempt at web cam imaging

Regards

Ben :)

jupiter edit 2 final.bmp

Nice Jupiter all right, a tad small but nothing that a decent barlow wouldnt fix.

I personally use a 2 x Celestron omni, although primarily for viewing I've found it just as good at imaging. I bought a 3x also but seeing hasent been particularly good of late. I currently have the Toucam Pro 2 & probably just a little higher up the learning curve than you but learning with every venture outside!

Just wait until the Moon gets favourable again, its difficult to resist especially as its such an easy target...........ideal for honing your new found imaging skills

Thanks for the comments i have still a lot to learn hopefully i will be soon climbing the learning curve further, and maybe i will capture images like you both have captured. I think i will purchace to celestron omni balow.

Regards

Ben :)

Wow, Your very keen are you?

Seem to be doing things so quickly, Love the Jupiter image on the webcam. Especially the colour, I know it's small but still.

Maybe one day you should consider in gettin your webcam modded so you can do LX ( Long Exposure ) so you can take pic's of Galaxies Nebulas etc. My LX has came yesterday but still yet to use it. I have seen stunning images from LX Modded 880 cameras. I have only managed to take a pic of Saturn but like your Jupiter picture smaller and grey'ish. Haven't got the chance to try again though.

Hi Lurker I like your image of saturn, i think when you upgrde to go-2 you will see improvements. How much did the lx mod cost? and could you give me a link to the website because i think i may go for it.

Thanks

Ben

Archived