Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are the skies statistically more likely to be clear after midnight?

tenbyfifty

I don't know if anybody else has noticed this but I'm always gobsmacked by the number of times the sky seems to clear over in the early hours - even when its been belting down with rain all day you often get a gap in the weather for an hour or so at this time of day.

Am I imagining things or is it a known weather phenomenon?

There may be some truth in it because I remember seeing an open university prog a while back that said that during summer, in the daytime, warm moist air rises above towns and cities and actually creates cloud above them, so at night when the city has cooled down a bit, the clouds may well dissipate. Don't think that applies in Winter though.

I'lll try and find a friendly meteorologist somewhere on the net...

Normally cloudy when I give up and go to bed, then crystal clear when I get up!!!

Saw on QI that we are more likely to have bad weather at the weekend - this a man-made phenomena :D

Yeah I saw that, its do with pollution building up during the week causing cloud on theweekend when the factories

close - summit like that anyhoo.

In my experience the skys in the North East tend to be clear through the day and start clouding over in the late afternoon. I often come in from work between 3 and 5 am and believe me, if the skys were clear, the scope would be out. I was just saying to the wife the other day, it wasnt till I got a scope that I realised just how cloudy this country is. :D

Archived