NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cannon EOS 350D

Hi all.

Honest opinions on this camera would be greatly appreciated.

I may have the opportunity to get one for about £60 from someone at work.

I was under the impression that these are great for budding astro photograhers such as myself.

And feed back would be hugley appreciated.

The only downside I can see with this camera is that it doesn't have liveview. There are plenty of folks on here using a DSLR without it, but personally I wouldn't try and focus without it. If however you think you'll be able to achieve good focus with the camera, then that is a good price.

For £60 don't let the lack of Liveview put you off. Yes it is a longer process to achieve focus without it but only a 5-10min process. When you consider the minimum cost of a Liveview enabled camera is £200 (if you get lucky) for a Canon 1000D, then a bit of a flaff with focus is worth it for £60.

And the old school focus isn't that bad. Aim at a bright star, focus through the viewfinder and that will be the focus 98% there. Then fire some test shots to nail it......job done! Don't touch the focus for the rest of the night.

I am a hard core visual observer and don't do astrophotography, but I used a 350d as a travel camera for daytime photography for several year and it was excellent. I regret selling is as in many respects I think it was better than the camera I replaced it with. At £60 snap the sellers arm off!

Archived