SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What will I see through Sky-Watcher Skyliner-250PX 10 inch Dobsonian Telescope ?

I think that I will play safe, and view the Sun through my ST120 refractor, using the solar film-covered centre section of its objective lens cover. We are in serious trouble, if I need the full light-gathering properties of the 250PX to look at our local star. :hmh:

So after cleaning my secondary mirror and setting up I finally got a chance to test it out for a bit tonight and it seems to have made a big difference! Looking at the orion nebula I could clearly make out a small bunch of about 5 stars in the middle and even zoomed all the way in to 8x it was very clear. Very please. It has also seemed to fix my focus problem somehow and I now don't need to pull the eyepiece out to get focus ? double bonus! 

Thanks again guys! 

• 2 weeks later...

How do & easily do Skyliner dobs attatch & detatch the OTA/rocker box to their stands?

When I bought my Bresser Messier dob it sold me because of its big rockers on each side, easy to grab & just lift on or off (as my Dark Star is)

Edited by 25585

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

How do & easily do Skyliner dobs attatch & detatch the OTA/rocker box to their stands?

The two handles either side of the scope provide friction/tension, and lock the scope in place, In use, it's a one handed operation, the tensioner handle is nearest to the user, or should be. This video demonstrates the tensioner handle, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vNOuw1_RJk

Separation of the OTA from the base makes for lighter work when lifting/moving the scope, though if able, the 8" Skyliner can be lifted as a whole.

Check this video, showing a range of Skyliners, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDY8extsWH8 ignore the rack & pinion, Its only on the 6"  version of the Skyliner.

Edited by Charic
  • Thanks 1

To get an idea of the construction of the manual 250PX, have a look at:-

https://storage.googleapis.com/skywatcher-canada/upfiles/en_download_caty01316546523.pdf

and the version with the Synscan motors and handset, at:-

https://storage.googleapis.com/skywatcher-canada/upfiles/en_download_caty01335568752.pdf

I always store, and transport, the OTA and base separately. The base has a diameter of (from memory) about 53cm, and you develop a "wide knee waddle" style of walking to get you through doorways and up/down steps.

I have the Synscan version, and at the end of a session, I select the "Park Scope" "Home" function in the "Utility" menu, and this places the OTA horizontal and pointing North. To separate the OTA & base, I release the locking bolt and lift the OTA straight-up for about a foot. On assembly, it is a matter of seconds, to lower the OTA into the mount, and tighten the locking bolt.

I have about a 10 yard/metre walk between where I store the Skyliner and my observing position, and I recon it takes me about 90 seconds longer to set up the OTA (including extending the three truss rods) and base, than it does to set up the tripod, mount and OTA of my Skymax 127 Mak.

Geoff

• Thanks 1

I have a 200P collapsible OTA and the motorised mount - taking the OTA off the mount and re-installing it is a work of <30 seconds each way.  There is big knurled hand driven screw which you loosen on one side on the otherside is wedge shaped arrangement - a female version on the mount the male on the OTA.  So I undo the screw then a hand on each end of the OTA - there is a ridge just big enough for the fingers at the Primary mirror end and lift it straight up off the mount.  Then just reverse to remount it - align the wedges sit the OTA into the base and re-tighten the hand screw - 'job's a good-'un' as they say.  I expect the mechanism is similar on similar systems.

On 20/11/2017 at 00:22, Andy250px said:

Yeah I had a check today and it's extended as far as possible. My scope only has one click at the top. I took the secondary off and gave it a clean today and collimated the scope so hopefully I'll get a chance to see if there is any difference. 

Is there any way to reduce the slack movement in my focuser other than spending a fortune on an upgrade? It's not much but there is play enough that maybe my heavier eyepieces will hinder my view quality? 

Andy. 

Rather than upgrade the whole focuser on my 250 I used a lacerta 1/10 micro focuser upgrade which works well.

• 1 year later...
On 14/11/2017 at 18:21, Geoff Lister said:

My 250PX is like the one in John's photo, above, but with the Synscan GOTO. I tend to set up mine on my patio, with power ON, well before dusk, do a "brightest star" alignment as soon as I can spot the first bright star (e.g. Vega, Arcturus or Altair), go in for tea and a warm-up, and come out again, perhaps an hour later, with the second alignment star still close to the centre of the eyepiece.

When not in use, the OTA (retracted and vertical) and base are kept in an unheated garage, with the rigid cover and "shower cap" in place and the whole OTA covered in an old bed-sheet. This seems to keep the mirrors clear of contamination.

Geoff

Hi Geoff 

I've just posted about this scope, but now I see it has been discussed before. What is your opinion of it? Worth getting? How has it performed on different targets and under what light conditions ( dark sky?) 

Thanks 

Mark 

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:27, markclaire50 said:

Hi Geoff 

I've just posted about this scope, but now I see it has been discussed before. What is your opinion of it? Worth getting? How has it performed on different targets and under what light conditions ( dark sky?) 

Thanks 

Mark 

Hello Mark,

The 250PX is worth the money. However, I tend to use my, smaller, Skymax 127 Mak., with the same Synscan control, probably 5 or 6 times more often than the Skyliner. The Skymax, on its tripod, gives me a better view of low-altitude targets, that are obscured by close-by shrubs and fences when using the lower Skyliner Dob. mount.

My garden is reasonably well screened from the surrounding streetlights, but security lights and neighbours upstairs lighting can sometimes be a challenge.  If the sky is really clear, and preferably with no Moon, the Skyliner's 4x increase in light gathering lets me push the magnification on the more challenging DSOs (+ Jupiter & Saturn, when available at over 10 degrees altitude in a southerly direction).

Geoff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff Lister said:

Hello Mark,

The 250PX is worth the money. However, I tend to use my, smaller, Skymax 127 Mak., with the same Synscan control, probably 5 or 6 times more often than the Skyliner. The Skymax, on its tripod, gives me a better view of low-altitude targets, that are obscured by close-by shrubs and fences when using the lower Skyliner Dob. mount.

My garden is reasonably well screened from the surrounding streetlights, but security lights and neighbours upstairs lighting can sometimes be a challenge.  If the sky is really clear, and preferably with no Moon, the Skyliner's 4x increase in light gathering lets me push the magnification on the more challenging DSOs (+ Jupiter & Saturn, when available at over 10 degrees altitude in a southerly direction).

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I have the skymax 127. Nice scope but I'm suffering from a dose of feverali aperturis and having thoughts about 180maks, C9.25 and C11s on an heq5. I can't make my mind up. I hear great things about the 180. I hear C9.25 is a special scope, BUT C11 aperture wins?? 

If I really believed C11 would outgun the other two, I'd consider a secondhand one. Ever considered upgrading to one of these? 

Thanks 

Mark 

12 hours ago, markclaire50 said:

If I really believed C11 would outgun the other two, I'd consider a secondhand one. Ever considered upgrading to one of these? 

I have obviously looked at larger aperture OTAs, but, the 250PX is very capable, and, as an OAP, is at the top end of comfortable portability from garage to patio. Most of the time, I do visual observing, but if I want a little extra, the GP-CAM and Sharpcap's live stacking work for me.

Geoff

On 08/02/2011 at 19:20, liamsantini said:

What will the size if planets look like through the scope? I mean in my current scope Jupiter looks like a small pea, with 4 bits of dandruff floating around it lol.

Hi Liam, the planets will still look like a pea, however, your image will be much more detailed and tak-sharp with the right eyepiece; make sure you get good quality ep's for the desired result.  The moons of Jupiter will still look like bits of dandruff, but hey-ho, they are between 4 and 6AU's away from Earth.  Where you will notice a difference is with Saturn's moons, in a 3" you will only see Titan, but in a 10" you will also see: Rhea, Enceladus, Tethys, Hyperian, Iapetus & Dione.  Now that's not bad is it?  Good luck with your purchase!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I love the open wide field and will buy a 10" dob next time.  I had a smit-cass 127 meade wth the computer tracking I never used.  It was nice really but the tracking was screwed up.  The little slow motion button though was nice to center and follow the object since I shake alot.  I do think the 10" dob with a 30mm, and at least 82 degrees field of view.  Definately second hand and still $300/ $400.   The culmination part I will study up on.  I allso will get the two speed crayford focuser and of course the eye piece filters..  Thank you this is fun.  I would love to do the star party thing.  In southern California the skys are clear even one mile from the border so I will check what ever forum they have for that.