SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What will I see through Sky-Watcher Skyliner-250PX 10 inch Dobsonian Telescope ?

This is a great scope and as you can see its my main instrument for viewing DSOs. Depending on your light pollution you will get great views of all the Messier objects.

I have viewed Jupiter this year and seen the major belts and also watched the shadow transits of its moons. Your socks will be blown off viewing Saturn.

Do you want anything else? I have attached a pdf on the Messier objects to help you find them.

Enjoy the scope.

Mark

• Like 2

Although town centre viewing is not ideal for DSO's, a 10" will be much better than a 3" and there is a range of filters available that will improve the situation. Light pollution has far less affect on lunar and planetary performance, in some instances it can be beneficial as it reduces glare. The biggest difference you will find, however, is the increased physical size and weight of the 10". Photos are usually not very representative of what can be seen visually, specially DSO's.

It is a great document, will be printing that off asap.

Living in town is not the best, but I can take it to my parents, and be it lots of darkness there.

I just don't want to buy the telescope, and still get the same views as my 3"

I had the 130P first (5 ish inches) and upgraded to the 12" Dob. I also live in an area of high LP but the views were noticeably better in the 12" than the 5", well worth it.

Hi

As has already been stated town centre observing of DSO is not ideal.

However a 10" is a giant leap from a 3" so you shouldn't be disappointed. Plus your new 10" will go on the back seat of ya motor to take it outa town for awesome DS observing.:(

You can always observe the brighter DSO from town and once you've been to a dark sky site and know where the faint fuzzies are it can be fun to try for them from urban skies.:) Aldershot aint too big a town and you aren't far from dark skies.

Good hunting and clear skies

Steve

Thanks steve, can't wait to get my scope now.

Would love to try the messier list, I tried doing it through my current scope, but it's not good enough in town centre.

What will the size if planets look like through the scope? I mean in my current scope Jupiter looks like a small pea, with 4 bits of dandruff floating around it lol.

Jupiter's green:eek:

Oh [removed word]! that's where I'm going wrong

Seriously though ya 10" will show a wealth of detail on the big 3 planets, when the seeing conditions are good. Enough to keep ya busy for years.

Gotta be patient though, if your a planetary observer, the really good nights are few and far normally.

Good hunting and clear skies:)

Steve

What will the size if planets look like through the scope? I mean in my current scope Jupiter looks like a small pea, with 4 bits of dandruff floating around it lol.

I need to upgrade also.

I'm also thinking of the Skywatcher 250.

When my scope arrived I was amazed initially, but I have only just started.

I then got some better EP's, and the difference was greatly improved.

My scope is entry level, but with a 2x barlow and 17mm plossl EP, Jupiter and moons are visible and in focus, but I know what you mean, once you see planets and DSO's with your own eyes you just want to see them bigger and brighter!

Saturn was great to see, but it was tiny! And could only just make out the rings.:(

Have to agree with whats been said. 3" to 10" will make a whopping difference to your viewing experience (light pollution or no light pollution). The 250px is a cracking scope. Moon and planets are as bright as hell but thats never a bad thing. I live on the edge of town but still plenty of light pollution. The larger aperture makes a HUGE difference to DSO viewing but you have to choose the right night for it. Your light pollution can vary from night to night. Basically if depends on how messy the sky is up there to relfect the orange glow back down. I find on a cold clear crisp northerly wind, the light pollution is not as half as bad and it makes for great DSO viewing.

Here's some targets i've viewed and comments

M13 - Stunning in this scope, really comes alive to the core with the right eyepeice!

(More magnification seems to improve the view believe it or not 200x seems to be the sweet spot)

M81/M82 A real treat once you've found them!

M51 - (Whirlpool Glx) Seen spiral arms in good conditions

M57 - (Ring Nebula) Fabulous (200x seems best)

Leo Triplet - No problem in good conditions

NGC4565 - Yep, no probs on moonless night with good conditions

Veil Nebula - With an OIII filter I was surprised to see both the Eastern and Western veils with ease (Without filter, very difficult)

Horsehead? Forget it ! Never seen this darn thing with or without filters, imaged it tho lol

"The Skyliner 200’s flat-packed base is very easy to build and set up, and comes with excellent instructions….The optics were sharp across 80% of the 1 degree field of view….We were very pleased with the appearance of al the test objects – we even managed to find the Crab Nebula, M81 and M82 in near-full Moonlight, whereas the other scopes were struggling. Under darker skies the Double Cluster had that ‘Wow’ factor when it was centred using the 25mm eyepiece, as did M35. The Pleiades (M45) was just a bit too large to fit in the field of view, but the main central stars looked stunning….Turning to Saturn, the view really took our breath away: we saw five moons, a clear-cut Cassini Division and a colour difference between the A and B rings. Not only that, but Saturn also displayed a prominent belt – with this scope planetary detail is certainly not compromised….Fans of deep-sky observing would certainly find the Skyliner satisfying….The Skyliner was a joy to use.” BBC SKY AT NIGHT MAGAZINE

Above is the quote on FLO. and this is just the 200!

Iv'e seen the views from todd's 12" dob, it's breathtaking.

Edited by JohnDenim