Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just bought a 12" Revelation Dobson

Hi guys just bought a 12 " revelation, picking it up Monday YAY

Mirror has been recoated last year, focuser has been replaced to a dual speed crayford, bearings have been changed ofor improved feel, added Ebonystar to Azuimuth no teflon on both axis ( whatever that means LOL) with a spare brand new base,

do u think i got a good scope there

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I had a look through one of these about 3 weeks ago at the orion nebula. I must admit I was pretty impressed with the view and it showed quite a bit of detail - and there was quite a bit of moonlight drowning things out. It also seemed easy to handle and move around so Im sure you'll enjoy it.:)

Astronymonkey

Hi guys just bought a 12 " revelation, picking it up Monday YAY

Mirror has been recoated last year, focuser has been replaced to a dual speed crayford, bearings have been changed ofor improved feel, added Ebonystar to Azuimuth no teflon on both axis ( whatever that means LOL) with a spare brand new base,

do u think i got a good scope there

Kelly

p.s i did post it on beginners part but i though i should put it here

If it's in good condition and not too old it sounds like you may have picked up a nicely tuned bargain of a 12" Dob. You are gonna love it.

If you are still new to finding stuff I recommend a Wixey and a Setting Circle mod. You could then use Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel on a netbook for getting co-ords and pointing the beast. Only around £30 to do, maybe less, and no electrical knowledge required :)

(Oh and a collimator will be essential too)

Well - I regard stuff over 18mths and getting towards two years as old cos there's usually signs of wear and no longer A1 condition.

But you do have to balance it against any improvements made and current new prices. It's a personal thing I guess but (short of seeing it) sounds like you've done well there :)

Sounds great Kelly. Same optics and mirror cells as the Meade Lightbridge 12" but in a solid tube, which personally I'd prefer.

The upgrades look good ones as well.

Under a dark sky the views will be really great !.

Check out post 91 on this thread for the results of an expert (not me!) test on a Rev. 12" mirror.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/84376-revelation-12-dobsonian-4.html

It's a pity you didn't jump in feet first a year ago, as the new price was than only £510 and with a much improved spec. See Telescope Planet Revelation 12" Premium Dobsonian Telescope for latest spec , though the price is now up to £670.

In any case, you've got an impressive scope that will last you years.

Hi Kelly,

That's a good scope and the improvements/renovations are good ones. I was thinking about fitting some ebony star to my dob's bearings (to reduce friction significantly and make the movement more fluid). I don't think you'll regret it. You just need to learn your way around the sky now.

Martin

Paul, it is my scope in question :) Thanks for the kind words about the scope though. :)

I did a silly thing, i replied to Kelly's wanted ad from Astrofest in London without checking the scope first. Last time i used it, it was prestine. But 3 months in our supposedly dry shed and the damn thing had some surface rust on the flat black paint in the tube. I felt terrible phoning Kelly to tell her i couldn't possibly sell the scope in that state. Wouldn't be right.

Fortunately the mirror was fine. Must have been some moisture sitting in the tube for a while.....damn it!

Anyway, just been out looking at Jupiter and the moon......scope still works brilliantly. But just not really in a condition that it could be sold.

If anyone has a 12" dob, please contact Kelly asap because she is desperate for a scope.

can't go wrong for £350 !! A quality dual speed crayford can cost more that half of that alone. And Ebonystar is the way to go for dobs.

I'd recommend getting a red dot finder or Telrad type device, a wide field eyepiece and learn to star hop. have fun.

Archived