SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which cheap tripod?

wolfytom

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hunter10x50tripodconnection.png

Should look something like this, of course it depends on what binos you have - I have some very old Russian style binos 10x50s and this screw is part of main hinge - but I guess they were never really intended for Astonomy

My 15x70s Revelations fit the bracket (large) very well as posted by jasonp

Oh and I am currently using a http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RS-284_and_RSH-24_3-way_head_.html

It is very sound and a good price - but I hear the Head (main part at the top) is not all that - but it will do for the moment :)

3 Way head here

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RSH-12_Ball_head.html#a56

Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs

If not try speaking to the guys at FLO there are very very good

The redsnapper tripod and head work well... I've got a ball head and the three way, and whilst the ball head is good, and probably better for some photography, I've found that the 3 way is actually better for astro usage, as you can tighten up, yet still get enough leverage with the handles to move things.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no point in mounting a 10x50 unless you are going to get a very sturdy mount, i.e. not a cheap tripod. A cheap tripod will be worse than hand-holding, and a darned sight more awkward to use. With 10x50, your best option is to learn to hand-hold them properly -- there are ways that are much more stable than the "usual" way.

Hand-holding binoculars

Mounting binoculars.

Possibly the best cheap option is a standard house-broom. Turn it upside down. Put a clean cloth over the bristles. Secure the binocular to the broom with a bungee. You now have a functional monopod. To go hi-tech on this, get one of those window-cleaning mop/squeegee doofers with an extending handle.

Andy,

I learnt my lesson many years ago with my Zeiss Jenoptem 10x50's on a cheap light weight camera tripod,accidentally knocked one of the tripod legs getting up from the chair and it was enough for the whole lot to fall on the concrete pavement denting one of the objective lens protectors.Ouch.

Thank fully only cosmetic damage,but it was handheld observation only until I got myself a sturdy tripod.

Sometimes you just have to pay more for the tipod/mount than the scope or bins cost.

Jon

Sometimes you just have to pay more for the tipod/mount than the scope or bins cost.

... and the good quality ones rarely appear on the second-hand market ... The upside of this is that a good tripod will probably last longer than you do. A cheap, nasty one will cost you more in the long run as it will need to be replaced every year or two, & won't do a very good job of supporting your bins either.

Tripods can have three attributes: cheap, steady and light: but never all three, and if you find one that has two of these attributes you're onto a winner.

BTW you need an "L" bracket to support most binoculars (the ones with a 1/4" threaded mounting point at the front of the hinge, usually covered by a blind threaded screw). There's a range here.

Hi,

I've recently purchased a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70 bins (new £59.99 Ebay), only had the chance to use them once as the skys have been cloudy ever since the day after they arrived (gutted). On the one night I was able to use them I had some fun however it quickly became apparent I'd need a tripod to maintain a steady view of anything.

I went for the Hama 61 Tripod on Amazon for £11.99 (£35 R.R.P) Hama Star 61 Tripod: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It arrived today and was very simple to setup and mount the bins, seems very good value for money at £11.99 and looks alot nicer than some of the more expensive tripods I've seen on sale in Jessops, extends to 1.6meters and seems pretty sturdy.

Might be worth you taking a look although please do bear in mind I have absolutely zero experience in Astronomy, binoculars or Tripods. :)

Im sorry but if you have experience of decent camera tripods you might realise just what you're missing. I have yet to see a tripod under the £70 mark which is even worth looking at ... they tend to be pretty rickety & will fall apart in months if not weeks. A good tripod is a lifetime investment but will probably cost you something in the region of £200.

I'll second the opinion about cheap tripods. Once you've used a decent tripod you realise just how flimsy and wobbly the cheap ones are.

One of the "cheapest" photo tripods I'd recommend is the Manfrotto 475. Unfortunately it's getting towards the £200.00 mark, but they do come up on eBay etc. at very reasonable prices.

BTW If you want to scare yourself silly take a look at the real high end photo tripods. £££££££££

John

As mentioned, I don't know jack about tripods or bins, however I agree that 9/10 times you get what you pay for and it always pays to listen to those with experience :)

My bins and tripod combined came to £72, I'm hoping I'll get enough out of my setup to have some fun and then decide if I want to commit to a more serious investment. I'll be sure to make a post of my experience from a newbie perspective.

Good luck with your decision.

I think the critical factor is weight, if your bins are'nt to heavy you may not have as much trouble as someone with a set weighing something like the 3.6kgs of my 20x90's. I have just given my 10x50's to a friend and will be buying some new ones, I will take the weight into account when I buy them as well as the quality. Although only 10x50 it would be handy if I plonked them on my Velban camera tripod when I fancied :)

not sure if you want a tripod or whether a monopod would do, but i got this:

Professional Aluminium Camera Monopod includes Footrest: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics for my 10x50s - it's very cheap and nasty, but i took a chance on it, and for the money, i think it's ok. i'm not in a position to know what i'm missing, but for the amount i really get to use my bins, it does fine, and it's a lot better than holding them in terms of stability (though really i don't find the 10x50s need it that much. but it makes the difference if you want to look at something for a while, or say picking out all four galilean moons).

• 2 weeks later...

I've returned to blight-y and tried the Slik Tripod. I must say, it's a darned good tripod which allows me to stand straight whilst observing, certainly for the lower altitudes...

DSCF7543-01.jpg

For higher observing, I shall have to resort to seating, which I was doing with the old tripod anyway, plus it's a comfy way to observe. To be sure, though, the Slik is easily up to the 20x80s and then some.

Another thing to consider is how tall you are. Being 6'4" I find it a major pain in the neck (and back) using a tripod that only extends to 160-180cm on anything above the horizon. I'm currently planning on getting the Camlink TPPRO32B Tripod which extends to 200 cm. I'm also considering a DIY project to make a parallelogram mount.

Archived