SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cold Weather Clothing!

G2EWS

Hi All,

Now the scope and kit is ordered I need to turn my thoughts to cold weather clothing.

As a landscape photographer and walker I have good cold weather clothing but this is for when you are moving, or at least moving for most of the time.

To stand around hours at a time that brings new and more difficult problems. But then you already know that don't you :)

I use 'thousand mile' socks, which in my opinion are the best you can get for walking:

1000 Mile Sportswear - 1000 Mile Sock

But again I doubt this will be any good for standing around. So a thicker pair of socks I think will be required.

I also reckon a good set of thermal underwear will be required. I will probably buy from here as they have a good selection of outdoor clothing:

Thermal Underwear for Men from Trekwear - Trekwear

Finally I think hand warmers. I have a friend and his Wife who are very big into golf and use these:

DURA-WARM Minis (twin pack) on eBay (end time 26-Feb-11 17:11:37 GMT)

They really do last 8 hours so could be the way to go.

That is my list having given it a little thought.

What else should I be looking at, remembering I have coats, boots, hats, mitts, gloves, scarves, ie all the things you would normally have for walking.

Also, have I chosen the best products? Or what is your preference and why?

Best regards

Chris

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try bits of heavy pile carpet off cuts round the scope. It'll insulate feet from the cold ground and works surprisingly well. I found one thermal fingerless glove dead useful for focusing and fiddling with bits in the dark (use a full glove on the other hand) :)

Down ski jacket, too big, salopettes, too big, Meindl snow boots a size too big and as of the week a Blazewear heated waistcoat from FLO which is stunning. I went for the big battery and would recommend that. But above all, everything too big. Extra layers don't work if they squeeze out the air. It is not like mountaineering where you need some dexterity and you sweat, so need wicking properties.

Olly

I've been looking at these as my feet always get freezing, if they really work then compared to the cost of an Ethos they will be a snip.

Columbia Bugathermo | Cotswold Outdoor

I took a look at these at Christmas but ended up buying a pair of Northface Chillicat boots two sizes too big so I could wear two pairs of thermal socks :)

Hi Chris,

That is very interesting.

I have just sent Balzewear an email reagarding the 'back warmer' which I will need due to two discs being embedded in my spinal column - ouch, and the heated insoles. I have asked which is the best battery option as they seem to offer a number of versions.

I am also about to order 240 pairs - 480 packs of the hand warmers from the main importer as I can get a good price on them. I may be able to sell them on a low cost to other forum members so will check out the price and let you all know if anyone is interested.

Best regards

Chris

It's freezing where I am (last week is was down to -46). The best thing to do when it's that cold is to STAY INSIDE!

However, on regular nights I wear layers, stay away from cotton fabrics and wear ski bottoms because I always find myself kneeling on the snow and I want to remain dry! Wear a good hat, one that stays in place because I find them quite a nuisance sometimes when looking through the eyepiece. Good boots is a must!

Ummmm,.. well, you can see what I wear by my site picture. :)

Isabelle

For a coat i have a North Face McMurdo Parka , all i wear underneath is a T Shirt , been out in -15 and was still warm , for boots i picked a set of Snow Boots from Decathalon for a tenner , again havent suffered from cold feet.

The only thing i have a problem with is gloves as i find then too thick to be able to swap eyepieces etc

I have a pair of thick woolen fingerless gloves that have a mitten section that can be folded over your pinkies to keep them warm or folded back to allow easy fidling with focuser etc, picked them up from TK Max thinking they'd come in usefull for walking the dog but turns out they are perfect for cold nights with the scope!

............ I may be able to sell them on a low cost to other forum members so will check out the price and let you all know if anyone is interested...........

Hi All,

Just had it pointed out that this is not allowed on the forum.

I was only trying to help others, was not going to make money out of it.

So will withdraw and not make this offer. However at the first star party you won't miss me as I will be warm and toasty with little bags all over me :)

Best regards

Chris

Ive tried them but they just dont feel comfortable for me :) .

I must have at least a dozen pairs of assorted gloves but cant find one that feels right.

I use fingerless gloves that have a mitten cover,just flip back the mitten bit when you need to do fiddly stuff and the put the mitten cover back over your fingers when you're done.Work a treat.

Mens Fingerless gloves with mitten covers- Shooter Mitts BNWT Available in Black or Olive Green: Amazon.co.uk: Clothing

I tend to use mitts when I am out taking photographs and a pair of big gloves over the top. Then when I want to adjust/take a photo I take the glove off the right hand. Leaving a mitt left behind!

Regards

Chris

I wear a 'boat suit' or 'floatation suit' If you havn't seen one it is like a one'zie but is designed to keep you warm even if you fall in cold water. The good ones are fleceid on the inside and within seconds of putting it on you can feel instant heat.

Here's one I found after a quick google http://www.busyoutdoors.com/baltic-polar-flotation-suit/p769?source=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1 I doubt you would feel the cold through this!

A touch on the exspensive side at roughly £100-£200 but they last forever and SUPER warm! :)

of course a wooly hat with the ears...and good ski socks and as mentioned fingerless gloves too :)

Michael

Hey Michael, I like that flotation suit. It looks really warm, and I think it would assist in scaring critters away too. :)

The best investment for telescopic viewing in the cold is definitely a warm pair of boots. I've pretty much tried them all and nothing kept my feet warm. Even more expensive boots rated for -25C always have a disclaimer that their boots will only keep your feet warm if you're moving and not standing in one place.

But then, about 10 years ago I discovered men's hunting boots that are rubber on the outside and lined on the inside. They're also rated for -25C and they're only $30!

They are ugly as heck and I really do try not to wear them in public, but they beat other more expensive brands by far. Luckily, they are available in boys' sizes for smaller feet.

Archived