Celestron Price Hike - SE4 on Hold

Mister-t

Hi. Been looking at getting into astronomy :) for some months now and been doing lots of research. I was homing in on buying a Celestron SE4 as a starter. Just noticed the prices have gone up by around 10% :) (all retailers). Not sure if this is just a blip before a price reduction but was hoping to get one for around £350. guess I'll hang on a bit longer, unless anyone can advise a better alternative (with GOTO). Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If the price has gone up across all retailers the inference from that must be that the manufacturer has put their price up. There was talk some time ago that as scopes were getting better as well as their prices falling, there was inevitably going to be a time when the prices would start to rise again due to demand. I wonder if this price increase is the start of that prediction? We shall have to see. I'll have a look at that scope and see if there are alternatives. What is your budget and what are your interests in astronomy?

Clear skies

James

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I actually ordered a celestron 4SE on Monday, and should have received it sometime today, but on wednesday, i got a call saying there were stock issues and had to cancel my order because the 4SE wasn't due in untill March.

They offered me an alternative, the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT. It's around the same price as the 4SE but i wanted to look around first.

Whilst checking other websites i found that the 4SE had risen in price by about 10%.

I found out what i could about the 127, and ordered one of those. It came first thing this morning. (ordered it yesterday afternoon)

From what i can gather its a slightly better scope on a slightly worse mount.

But i was told that between them, there's not an awfull lot of difference.

If its a Celestron you're looking for, it may be worth looking at these. Also you should be able to pick one up for around £350 as i did.

I wish i could give you more info on it but i doubt i'll get to use it tonight with these darn clouds.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If the price has gone up across all retailers the inference from that must be that the manufacturer has put their price up. There was talk some time ago that as scopes were getting better as well as their prices falling, there was inevitably going to be a time when the prices would start to rise again due to demand. I wonder if this price increase is the start of that prediction? We shall have to see. I'll have a look at that scope and see if there are alternatives. What is your budget and what are your interests in astronomy?

Clear skies

James

My original budget was around the £350 mark. I did not want to spend too much only to end up with dissappointment. I can spend more if the 'reward' was there. My main interests would be the astrophotography aspects (so that I can share what I've seen), the SE4 camera control seems attractive. I think initially I'm limiting to observing moon, planets and the sun would be interesting. Appreciate you asking. Thanks

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I actually ordered a celestron 4SE on Monday, and should have received it sometime today, but on wednesday, i got a call saying there were stock issues and had to cancel my order because the 4SE wasn't due in untill March.

They offered me an alternative, the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT. It's around the same price as the 4SE but i wanted to look around first.

Whilst checking other websites i found that the 4SE had risen in price by about 10%.

I found out what i could about the 127, and ordered one of those. It came first thing this morning. (ordered it yesterday afternoon)

From what i can gather its a slightly better scope on a slightly worse mount.

But i was told that between them, there's not an awfull lot of difference.

If its a Celestron you're looking for, it may be worth looking at these. Also you should be able to pick one up for around £350 as i did.

I wish i could give you more info on it but i doubt i'll get to use it tonight with these darn clouds.

Let me know how you get on. I did wonder what the difference was with the 127 as they are very similar prices, I thought it was just the pre-decessor to the SE series, but they still sell it, so maybe not. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum

Having seen brisk trading at the Celestron stand at AstroFest yesterday you wouldn't of thought that supplies of Celestron telescopes were subject to the delays. around a month ago I had ordered a C6-SGT, expecting delivery a few days later, only to be told that there was no definite date for delivery and the soonest could be March, and they couldn't confirm if that was beginning or end of the month. I started looking at alternative Celestrons such as the C8 SGT, the C8 NGT etc from around a dozen retailers and all were out of stock and couldn't get any info on ETD from the importers (D. Hinds)

I ended up ordering a Skywatcher 200P on a EQ5 pro goto mount from Rother Valley Optics - and saved almost £200 in the process. The estimated delivery was 10 - 14 days and I received a call stating it came into stock last Thursday and will be dispatched the following day so it will be delivered tomorrow - that's spot on to the estimated time frame.

I ordered a C8 in November, I'm told it will be March before I get it.

I can understand waiting 4 months for a custom built scope.... but for a mass produced item the importers are really taking the biscuit IMO - you have the patience of a saint... :)

Archived