Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Afternoon from rainy Cheshire

Robthevegetable

Hi all,

New to forums, new to astronomy!

Been into general space-y type stuff for ages, it always left me dum-struck at the sheer scale of everything.

Finally decided last week to take the plunge and buy my first (inspired by the Stargazing Live programme on BBC2)... After some research I decided on the Celestron NexStar 130 SLT. I didn't want to spend too much on my first 'scope, and after reading an excessive amount of reviews this seemed one of the best for the price.

The other thing that drew me was the SkyAlign, with me being a novice I figured I didn't want to spend all night looking for something, only to have it disappear!

Haven't taken delivery yet, but hopefully will in a few days... Here's for clear skies.

Rob

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will do, I'm really looking forward to it... If the pictures I've seen taken with this scope are to be believed then hopefully I'll be able to pick out some decent stuff. I'm aware it's a beginner scope, so I know not to expect miracles, I'd be happy just seeing the planets (Jupiter & Saturn hopefully) and hope to get a solar filter at some point soon so I'll be able to add the Sun to list as well!

Hi Rob and a warm welcome to SGL :)

Your intro just reminded me of how confused I was in my first 3 months of research when I started in astronomy. Whew it was tough lol. Good to have you on board and don't be afraid to ask those questions in the Beginners Help section :D

Thanks for the reassurance... I'll be giving a good go once my equipment arrives (and provided the viewing clears up... blumming rain)! But, I won't hesitate to ask, provided people are patient towards (possibly) stupid sounding questions from a complete novice.

Archived