NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 - comparison shots

swag72

I have spent a fair bit of time on M31 and have got 2 shots now that I am happy with, But, they are very different in colour, despite being processed in the same way - using PI and following the video tutorials.

The first has been shown before and had about 2 hours of data

swag72-albums-dso-s-picture8232-m31-andromeda.jpg

This second one had extra data added, totalling about 4.5 hours in total. So, my question is which do you feel is the better image and why? I'm really trying to get this sorted. Also, I can't work out why this one is so blue compared to the first one.

swag72-albums-dso-s-picture8477-m31-final-image.jpg

Great images Sarah, personally I think the top one is better. The second image, although there might be slightly more detail looks like there is less contrast and slightly less definition and not as sharp as the first one. I am certainly no expert, but I wonder if the alignment or focus was marginally out in the extra data that you added. The first image looks darker too, could this be the effect of additional moonlight in the second image?

Sara the first ones a real beauty...

I love the vanilla colours of M31 . . sadly I've never been able to image it to a point I'm real happy, I would be VERY happy with your 1st image :D

keep going... onwards and upwards.. :)

Thanks for that - I prefer the colours of the first and wonder why the second is so blue. I don't think the moon was out, but would be interested to hear why people think the colour may be so different. I suppose that the focus on the second could have been out a little, you'd only need it a smidgen out to make a difference I guess.

Thanks for all your input - Appreciate you taking the time.

Did a background neutralization, color calibration, DBE, HDR wavelets, extracted luma for mask for slight stretch/red increase/sats increase using curves, into PS for smart sharpen and upped the output levels black as b/g always seem to darken on export to jpg.

Was fun - wish I had a decent shot of my own to process :)

David

Archived