Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam.

Hi, I'm interested in getting a webcam probably next week, There isn't much threads about webcam. So I figured that i'll just start a new thread so i can get the right webcam for my scope.

At the moment, I currently have SkyQuest Orion XT8" Classic dob.

I don't have any budget at all, I would like a very good webcam. What accessories do I also need to put my webcam into the Eyepiece?

Do I need another Eyepiece for a webcam? Just let me know what I need. Cheers.

* Waits for jahmanson *

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as said with a webcam you need an adaptor/nosepiece, you have to carefully remove the silver focus ring and then the black plastic "barrel" complete with original lens, this unscrews and the nosepiece screws into same place as lens, its a good idea to get the IR/UV filter

I have been reading about modification web cameras, Wondering what's the best decision to make? What's the different between normal webcam and modify one? Does modify one give you better details pictures, if not what will give better pictures in details of Jupiter.

well from what i read there is no real way to use a non modded webcam, you ahve to change the nose piece to connect it to your scope! there are some good threads about the Philips on this site if you do a search.

Rols

generally the term modded webcam refers to a long exposure modification made available to the astro community by steve chambers. this gives the toucam and its derivatives some facility for deep sky imaging. you are correct that modding is the term for making modifications to a webcam so technically fitting a nosepiece into a webcam is a mod. but often if you come across the term modded it means altered for long exposure myself and many others forget to put lx in front of the word mod.

sorry about the last post its c a r p an ordinary webcam gives great pics of jupiter just capture the frames and stack. An ir filter on the webcam will help clean it up a bit it can look a little bit of a dirty brown without one

The term Modified webcam tends to refer to long exposure (LX) mod, there are a few different stages to the mod.

The first is just LX which is called SC1, the next stage is usually referred to as SC1.5 and that's the LX mod and Amp off.

Then you can go for SC2 which is the above plus active cooling (usually a fan), then lastly the SC3 is everything above plus a mono more sensitive chip.

The Phillips webcams ToUcam and ToUcam II and now the SPC900 are generally regarded as the best, but I've seen cracking images taken with others...

Here is some images that I took with a ToUcam SC1 - for the planets the LX mod was turned off (so effectively off the shelf cam)...

Jupiterold-200F5.jpg

saturnold.jpg

These were taken with a 8" F5 Newt.

I also managed to take some images with the LX mod through the same telescope...

M51-18-04-09_sml.jpg

Apologies for that last image - I can only seem to find the thumbnail - the larger one is better, but only a little.

So as you can see the Phillips webcams are capable little cams. Excellent value for money and without moving up to the DMK's, I doubt you'll find better. For DSO imaging they are a good start, but you'll soon want more...

Cheers

Ant

I have an SPC900 mod'ed for LE - it's the 1.5 mod with amp off, cooling and the more sensitive chip - it's not a cheap option mind you. Have a look at Astronomiser website - everything you need to know about modding webcams and dslr's and lots of advice for AP generally:

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

If you need to know more give Andy a ring - very nice chap and full of good info and advice :)

I agree with MorningMajor - I have the Neximage cam too and it's the same chip as the SPC900. What makes it expensive is the astro friendly housing, provision of software, and brand naming. If I hadn't been "astronomically" young and naiive at the time I might have only purchased the SPC lol :)

The term Modified webcam tends to refer to long exposure (LX) mod, there are a few different stages to the mod.

The first is just LX which is called SC1, the next stage is usually referred to as SC1.5 and that's the LX mod and Amp off.

Then you can go for SC2 which is the above plus active cooling (usually a fan), then lastly the SC3 is everything above plus a mono more sensitive chip.

Ant

Hi Ant,

What is the AMP your refer to in the SC1.5 and why is it turned off?

Thanks

Dan

PS. Apologies for carving up your original post.

In that case rest assured if you get one of the SPC900's (or the SPC880 are pretty much the same so I've read) - that is the sort of image that you could get.

Cheers

Ant

Modified or non modified?

the neximage does the job but had I been able to source one of the phillips ones at the time I was buying I would have got one of those. I got mine second hand and to be honest its not at the moment worth the price they ask, all the software you need is available for free on the web. however as I said in a few months there won't be any more phillips as I understand that they have stopped making them and that these are all found stock

Both cams in basic form produce good results on solar system objects. Both can be modified and Ant's M51 above shows whats possible with the LE mods.

Amp Off - the sensor chip can suffer "amp glow" or "electroluminessence" from chip circuitry, resulting in a "light pollution" effect seen in exposures. Reducing the voltage to the chip will reduce the effect during long exposure. See here for full article:

Webcam Mods

Archived