Puzzled Scottish Borders

drbob

Hi All, I have been doing a bit of occasional sky watching over the last year or two. I am trying to learn a bit more as it's a great way to spend some time with my daughter (age 5). I live in the wilds of the Scottish Borders so the night sky here is fantastic.

She loves to go out and look at the stars. I am looking forward to taking her out with the telescope, but I have not tried hooking it up to the computer yet. I am not sure she will manage the eyepiece.

Anyway, it's good to find out about this forum and look forward to learning a bit more about the night sky.

PS Whilst out walking the dog on the moor this winter I have noticed a very bright red light in the early evening sky, about 20 degrees above the horizon which seems to track from wsw to ssw as the evening progresses. I do not really see anything that it could be in stellarium. Any suggestions for what I could be seeing?

PS Whilst out walking the dog on the moor this winter I have noticed a very bright red light in the early evening sky, about 20 degrees above the horizon which seems to track from wsw to ssw as the evening progresses. I do not really see anything that it could be in stellarium. Any suggestions for what I could be seeing?

Think I answered my own question. I enabled the satellites plugin on stellararium and it show the ISS (zarya) in the right place.

I did some work for NASA JPL a few years ago so I should know better. Still, you learn something new every day. Wow, it's impressive though. Much brighter than I would have imagined. Pretty much the same as the light on a television mast.

Archived