Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher EQ7 cancelled

George

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised no mount manufacturers build in a USB hub given how much addon equipment is usb, cameras, filter wheels etc

Im expecting the EQ7 payload to sit between the 6 & 8.

EQ6 = 25kg

EQ7 = 35kg ?

EQ8 = 45kg

I'd also like to see Synta offer a head only option for pier mounting to keep costs down.

I was looking through the catalogue and thought to myself, what would I like to put on one of these big mounts like the Paramount ME or one of the Astrophysics mounts. And I thought I know the Celestron C20 Astrograph Cassegrain.

I am not sure who remembers Celestron bringing this out about 6 or 7 years ago, but apparently is was halted with not a word of explanation from Celestron, do any of you remember this?

http://www.universetoday.com/24922/celestron-20/

I was looking through the catalogue and thought to myself, what would I like to put on one of these big mounts like the Paramount ME or one of the Astrophysics mounts. And I thought I know the Celestron C20 Astrograph Cassegrain.

I am not sure who remembers Celestron bringing this out about 6 or 7 years ago, but apparently is was halted with not a word of explanation from Celestron, do any of you remember this?

http://www.universetoday.com/24922/celestron-20/

It was canceled on cost grounds apparently.

CN FORUMS ARCHIVE Telescope Reviews: What ever happened to the Celestron C20 Dall Kirk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I think it is great these EQ7 and EQ8s are coming. It means people will upgrade and I might be able to snap up an EQ6.

Me too, a nice looked after used EQ6 Pro is what I,d like.

A £3000 mount is way to much for me. With a quality scope like the Skywatcher Equinox 120ED with it higher price ( £1390ish ) for same scope it will be near to £4500.

Just not possible for me.

I,m waiting on an Ikharus 102 which I,m told is the same as the old William Optics 102ED ( if that,s correct?) but I have no moiunt to put it on so it,ll be sat in it,s box for quite awhile.

These EQ7 sure look nice thou, I looked at the pic on TS.de website, if it was priced around the Ioptron 45 price then it would be a top seller pretty sure of that.But if it is twice the price of the ioptron 45 then ioptron will be selling alot of their iq45 mounts! at £1500 they look really good, but £3000 is just to much.

Meawhile this is very interesting, too; Mesu-Optics, Mesu-Mount

There seems to be a lot going for friction drive. No backlash and a cost saving since worms of high precision are costly to make. I hope to be seeing one later on the year.

Far more important to me than payload is tracking accuracy. An EQ6 can carry 2.5 metre FL scopes but can't reliably guide them for DS.

Olly

Its probably only a minor set back, after all the GoTo dobs had similar delays. Is there any mention of the soon to be "older model" EQ6's having any price reduction ?? It shocked me how many people already have EQ6 mounts given the cost new so I imagine there are plenty out there happy to spend the cash and get the new EQ 7/8 and I imagine sales will be down slightly on new EQ6's if there is a flood of 2nd hand ones available.

I am sure a few people will upgrade and sell EQ6 mounts but I aim to Upgrade in 2 years time and then "retire" the EQ6 to the odd trip up a mountain and helping with the 2 or 3 Astronomy out reach programs that run locally for the kids.

That friction drive looks like a possibility....I like the look of that.

• 2 weeks later...
Meawhile this is very interesting, too; Mesu-Optics, Mesu-Mount

There seems to be a lot going for friction drive. No backlash and a cost saving since worms of high precision are costly to make. I hope to be seeing one later on the year.

Far more important to me than payload is tracking accuracy. An EQ6 can carry 2.5 metre FL scopes but can't reliably guide them for DS.

Olly

Friction drive is VERY nice Olly...funny you should mention that :-)

Archived